Subject: [Tsvwg] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-leung-sigtran-stream-sctp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:36:42 -0600

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 12:49 PM
> To: IETF-Announce; @[email-masked]
> Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-leung-sigtran-stream-sctp-00.txt
> 
> 
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line 
> Internet-Drafts directories.
> 
> 
> 	Title		: SCTP Stream Function Extensions
> 	Author(s)	: K. Leung
> 	Filename	: draft-leung-sigtran-stream-sctp-00.txt
> 	Pages		: 10
> 	Date		: 05-Mar-01
> 	
> This document describes two stream function extensions to SCTP
> (Stream Transmission Control Protocol) [SCTP].  These extensions are
> to allow dynamic modifications of stream status when U-SCTP
> (Unreliable Extension to SCTP) [USCTP] is activated and on demand
> insertion/deletion of streams within a SCTP association.  These
> extensions will provide a better support of multimedia applications
> since they allow users to set and modify communication options, say
> the choices of transport and reliability requirements, on the fly.
> 
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-leung-sigtran-stream-sctp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-leung-sigtran-stream-sctp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-leung-sigtran-stream-sctp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Ian Rytina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:20:53 +1100

Hi Ka Cheong,

We had some preliminary discussions on this function some time
ago whilst writing the REL-REQ/ADD-DEL IP drafts. Some issues
that came up, causing us to put the idea on hold for some time :-

- This was originally in the MDTP spec, and was removed in IETF
Oslo because it added too much complexity to the base protocol
compared to the functionality gained.

- Procedures are required related to the Number of Inbound
Streams parameters negotiated in the INIT/INITACK. What happens
if you want to create more streams than the MIS of the peer allows ?
Should you be allowed to inform your peer of a change in your own
MIS ? These procedures are not covered in your draft.

- Is there really a need for the added complexity of changing from a
reliable to an unreliable stream, or vice versa ? To me this looks
like an unnecessary complexity that could be more easily solved by
deleting the stream, then adding it again.

As you have probably seen on the lists, there is doubt about the
validity of the REL-REQ draft. Will be sorted out (hopefully) in
Minneapolis.

Cheers,

Ian.