Subject: [Tsvwg] RFC 2960bis Issues

From: Lyndon Ong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 16:57:10 -0700

Folks,

There has been a slew of messages, mostly on two SCTP issues: IPv6 
addressing and the checksum.

Regarding the IPv6 addressing issue, the immediate answer is to move the 
entire scoping discussion to a separate document, as RFC2960bis is probably 
not the right place to cover this.  The bis document should provide the 
formats for IPv6, and at most perhaps some note to guide people away from 
the most serious problems.

Regarding the checksum, let's go back to the original issue:

-- we settled on checksum rather than CRC in the original spec because we 
felt that checksum was significantly easier to support and that other 
mechanisms such as link level CRC and (if present) digital signatures would 
provide added error detection capability.

-- the issue was raised as to whether the Adler-32 that was in RFC 2960 had 
some serious error detection drawbacks, especially for short signaling 
messages.  We are therefore reconsidering the Adler-32.

We need to revisit these questions:

a) was the original decision correct to use checksum rather than 
CRC?  current view seems to be yes. although ips would prefer CRC, they can 
live with checksum.

b) is there a problem with the original Adler-32?  current view was yes, 
although Doug's email raises some questions.
(We could, of course, solve the whole bis issue by deciding that Adler-32 
was fine)

c) if not the Adler-32, then what would be better?  we have modified Adler 
and Fletcher under consideration.  It shouldn't be extremely hard to pick 
an alternative.

Cheers,

L. Ong

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg