Subject: [Tsvwg] RE: multihoming issues via SCTP

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 09:12:30 -0700

> Please keep in mind that selection of the source address and of the
> source
> interface are not related. In TCP, the system will select the source
> address matching the output interface for the first packet of an
> outgoing
> session. Since the remote TCP expects this address to stay the same,
> subsequent packets within a session all have the same source address,
> regardless of the output interface.
> 
> Since it is possible in TCP to find a source address based on the
> output
> interface for the first packet, it stands to reason that SCTP could do
> this for every packet.

There are issues with this if the ISP enforces verification of the
source address. The issues are discussed in 
	draft-draves-ipngwg-ingress-filtering-00.txt
These issues should be addressed by any multihoming solution.

-- Christian Huitema

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Greg Maxwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 12:23:51 -0400 (EDT)

> These issues should be addressed by any multihoming solution.

My suggestion with respect to multihoming in the transport protocol (i.e.
via SCTP) is to use source address routing for egress at the edges.

It solves the filtering issue nicely, and lets the multihoming host have
full path control.