Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] Not proceeding with U-SCTP

From: Thomas Dreibholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 12:11:58 +0200

> Dear Kacheong, dear all,
> 
> Does this mean that (using a socketapi which is 'compliant' to the
> socket api draft) a user can NOT make use of the streams feature 
> of SCTP? In my opinion this is quite a restriction.

It would absolutely make no sense to restrict the socket API to only a single 
stream while the SCTP standard (RFC 2960) and its implementations support 
multiple streams. Even if the socket API supports multiple streams, it is 
*not* necessary for your applications to also support this feature. The 
applications using the API may still use only a single stream (like TCP).
Also, the additional cost for implementing support for streams into the 
socket API is quite low: mainly the SCTP_INIT option and the SCTP_SNDRCV 
structure for send/recvmsg().

> 
> Best regards
> Michael
> 
> Kacheong Poon wrote:
>
> > I guess I'll leave it to the ADs to decide what are the appropriate things
> > to discuss here at tsvwg.  But one minor point I want to make is that
> > there are already discussions about removing the capability of sending
> > to specific streams in the socket extension draft.  And this feature
> > is clearly written down in RFC 2960.  As you can see, people do not 
confine
> > themselves to the "psuedo" API written in a spec.  Here at IETF, people
> > believe in working code.  If it is not a good idea, get rid of it.  Just
> > this simple.  Please correct me if this is not the way IETF works.
> > 
> >                                                         K. Poon.
> >                                                         [email-masked]
- -- 
=======================================================================
 Dipl.-Inform. Thomas Dreibholz

 University of Essen,                            Office ES210
 Inst. for Experimental Mathematics              Ellernstraße 29
 Computer Networking Technology Group            D-45326 Essen/Germany
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 E-Mail:     [email-masked]
 Homepage:   http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~dreibh
=======================================================================

- -----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.5 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Weitere Infos: siehe http://www.gnupg.org

=g36Q
- -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg