Subject: [Tsvwg] RE: [e2e] What's the benefit of out-of-order processing?

From: "Naidu, Venkata" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:20:27 -0400

-> Congestion control is useful, but it is not an "application 
-> benefit" (at 
-> least directly).  Out of order delivery has *nothing* to do 
-> with whether 
-> congestion control signals are sent, or how their coding (as ACKs or 
-> whatever) reflects their meaning.

   Reed, I agree that "Out-of-order" is nothing to do with Congestion 
   Control. But "delivery" (our-of-order or in-order) has close relation 
   with Congestion Control. How else will the sender know without
   receiver sending back some signals to pace the sender?

   You mean to say in the FTP example, we can do congestion control
   with time outs than expecting signals from receiver.

--Venkata Naidu

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: "David P. Reed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:58:20 -0400

>    receiver sending back some signals to pace the sender?

True.  But those signals don't have to be "acknowledgments" - the "entropy" 
of packet-by-packet acknowledgments as congestion control is very low, by 
simple inspection of their statistics.  Most ACKs contain only a tiny 
fraction of a bit of congestion-control information, as an entropy measure. 
Efficient coding of congestion control signalling would not transmit such 
messages, and would focus on the information-packed messages that occur 
when congestion is imminent or occurring.