Subject: re: The IESG: [Tsvwg] Document Action: Robust ECN Signaling with Nonces to Experimental

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 13:25:59 -0800

Folks,

Remember our discussion of whether this document should be
Experimental or Proposed Standard?  The kicker when IESG discussed it
was the recollection of the troubles that ensued when ECN first came
out and firewalls blocked it.  The IESG view was that presenting a
sudden Proposed Standard with a new bit pattern in TCP would not
present a stronger case for change to firewall vendors than an RFC
that was Experimental.  So the plan this time was for an explicit
approach: Steve Bellovin will contact firewall and similar developers.
We will think about a Last Call for Proposed Standard when some
openings for nonce by them have been made and reported here.  Others
who have resources to gather data about the experimental use of the
nonce, its interaction with firewalls, etc, or who can work with
firewall, intrusion detection and other such developers, are strongly
encouraged to help and report too.

Here is the final form of the Statement of Intent that will go into
the RFC for the Experimental publication.

 Statement of Intent:

 This specification contains an optional addition to Explicit
 Congestion Notification (RFC 3168) improving its robustness
 against malicious or accidental concealment of marked packets.
 It has not been deployed widely. One goal of publication as an
 as an Experimental RFC is to be prudent, and encourage use and
 deployment prior to publication in the standards track. Another
 consideration is to give time for firewall developers to accept
 and recognize the pattern presented by the nonce. It is
 the intent of the Transport Area to re-submit this specification
 as an IETF Proposed Standard in future after more experience has
 been gained.

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg