Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] early retransmit

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 23:08:40 -0500

> - You talk about [All00] and the many short http transfers. I
> don't question that result, but I think that you could maybe put
> it a bit more into perspective. From our recent measurements, we
> find that http 1.1 and especially pipelining are becoming
> increasingly popular. Thus, http transfers should be getting
> longer on average these days.

I'd certainly cite any data on the subject.  I'll go back and read
the text around [All00] and maybe soften a bit.

(The web server used for [All00] did (/does) support HTTP/1.1
persistent connections and pipelining.  However, clients could
certainly be evolving to use such features more.)

> - Concerning the solutions mentioned in the appendix. How about if
> the sender maintained a ratio of ER-based-spurious-retransmits
> over total-number-of-transmitted-segments, assuming something like
> Eifel/DSACK/FRTO-based detection. Then we could say that this
> ratio MUST not be larger than some threshold, say 2 percent. As
> soon as the ratio goes higher, we turn off ER, and turn it on
> again as soon as the ratio goes below the threshold again.

I think this is certainly a reasonable idea... maybe even the most
reasonable idea I have yet heard.  We'll definately add this to some
portion of the id.

Thanks!

allman

--
Mark Allman -- BBN/NASA GRC -- http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/
_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:50:38 -0600

Wouldn't this also be an appropriate suggestion for Fast Retransmit
and Limited Transmit adaptive thresholding (not just ER)?

As an aside:

I have to say that I wonder about the interaction between 
adaptive transport mechanisms like this and mobile handoff 
(at either the Mobile IP or subnetwork layers) that can
significantly twiddle what the transport is looking at.

Which doesn't make Reiner's suggestion UNreasonable, but
does seem like there's still opportunities for refinement.

Spencer

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mark Allman [mailto:[email-masked]]