Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] HS-TCP/FAST-TCP: Kind of Packet Loss?

From: Sally Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:16:16 -0700

>I think packet corruption is not currently the greatest problem.  There
>are a number of other causes of packet loss, including:
>  - intermittent flows starting up (punching holes with slow-start)
>  - misbehaving switches
>  - burstiness, and a small router buffer
>
>When these things cause cwnd to be halved on the order of once every few
>minutes, they can seriously degrade the performance of high-BDP flows.  A
>faster response time can really help, and I think is ultimately necessary
>if we expect end-to-end congestion control to work in messy networks at
>large window sizes.

Yep!  I agree that packet corruption is not the motivating problem here.

- Sally

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg