Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] one-to-many/one-to-one socket API extension for SCTP

From: "K S A" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 05:48:04 +0000

I have question about the RTO.min value.  The draft says that there is one 
RTO.min value per stack.  But, it is possible a host could have one 
association that travels over the public Internet and others that travel 
over a short (a few meters) high speed links.  But, the lower latency local 
links will be forced to take at least the RTO.min value when re-transmitting 
data.

While it may have been shown that a RTO.min value of 1 second is appropriate 
for the public Internet, it seems to unduly slow recovery of low latency 
local links.

Could there not be a RTO.min value per association to accomodate this 
difference in latency that allows each link to operate efficiently?

- Kulwinder.

_________________________________________________________________
Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*.  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/photos&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: "Randall R. Stewart (home)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 07:47:13 -0600

K S A wrote:

>
> I have question about the RTO.min value.  The draft says that there is 
> one RTO.min value per stack.

What draft are you talking about? Socketsapi?

>   But, it is possible a host could have one association that travels 
> over the public Internet and others that travel over a short (a few 
> meters) high speed links.  But, the lower latency local links will be 
> forced to take at least the RTO.min value when re-transmitting data.
>
> While it may have been shown that a RTO.min value of 1 second is 
> appropriate for the public Internet, it seems to unduly slow recovery 
> of low latency local links.
>
I know in KAME we implemented a RTO.min per endpoint.. which is 
inherited from the
RTO.min of the system.. that way you could change things for those 
special cases.

R

-- 
Randall R. Stewart
[email-masked] 815-342-5222 (cell phone)

---

From: Sridhar Samudrala <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:46:26 -0800 (PST)

> RTO.min of the system.. that way you could change things for those 

Even in LK-SCTP, all the RTO parameters(initial, min and max) are tunable
per association or endpoint. This can be done using the new SCTP_RTOINFO 
socket option defined in the sockets api extension draft.

Thanks
Sridhar