Subject: [Tsvwg] SCTP and fragmentation at IP level

From: Pekka Pessi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:56:36 +0200

Hello all,

In the section 2.16 of draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpimpguide-09.txt the
fragmentation and reassembly section says (new text):

   ... If an implementation does not support fragmentation of outbound
   user messages, the endpoint must return an error to its upper layer
   and not attempt to send the user message.

   Note: If an implementation that supports fragmentation makes
   available to its upper layer a mechanism to turn off fragmentation
   it may do so. However in so doing, it MUST react just like an
   implementation that does NOT support fragmentation i.e. it MUST
   reject sends that exceed the current P-MTU.

So, if we play the game widely known as "Say it in ALL CAPS" (a
variation of "Simon says", ages 15 to 65) the 2960 could be interpreted
allowing that if the SCTP implementation does not support fragmentation,
it may as well try to send a message exceeding path MTU as a single IP
datagram (that will be fragmented). Now the note in sctpimpguide seems
to contradict the end of first paragraph.

WOuld it be a nice idea not to play the game in first paragraph and do
it in caps, like "the endpoint MUST return an error", "the endpoint
SHOULD return an error" or "the endpoint MAY return an error"?

--Pekka

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg