Subject: [Tsvwg] TCP-ESTATS-MIB: tcpEStatsDataIpTos

From: Kristine Adamson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 04:42:07 -0600

Hello,
   I had raised this question earlier about the tcpEStatsDataIpTos object 
in the TCP-ESTATS-MIB:

>- tcpEStatsDataIpTos: Haven't IPv4 TOS and IPv6 traffic class been 
superceded by DSCP?  Since TOS seems to belong to >IPv4, wouldn't it be 
better to use a different name for this object, one that applied to both 
IPv4 and IPv6?

and I was asked for a reference to a DSCP standards document.  But, 
instead of using DSCP, it might be better to use a policy MIB object. This 
would be consistent with the inetCidrRoutePolicy MIB object in the new, 
version-neutral, IP-FORWARD-MIB.  The current version of this MIB module 
is in IETF internet draft:  draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2096-update-07.txt 

In the existing IP-FORWARD-MIB, there is an ipCidrRouteTos MIB object.  At 
one point, as the version-neutral IP-FORWARD-MIB was being created, there 
was an inetCidrRouteDscp MIB object but this was later changed to the 
policy MIB object.  I don't remember now what the reasons were for the 
change.  The IP-FORWARD-MIB changes were done as part of the ipv6 working 
group.
 
Kristine Adamson
IBM z/OS Communications Server: TCP/IP Development
Internet e-mail:[email-masked]