Subject: RE: [Tsvwg] draft-baker-diffserv-basic-classes-02

From: "Jozef Babiarz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 08:25:22 -0400

In the next revision (03) of the draft (should be put on the mailing list
shortly) we state that peer-to-peer signaling such as SIP and H.323 be
forwarded out of a different service class than telephony payload. I will
analyze the impact on speech and ring clipping at beginning of call when
interfacing to a TDM telephony switch if all telephony signaling would be
forwarded using a different queue (higher latency) than the voice bearer. My
motivation for mapping telephony signaling in to the same queue as voice
bearer was to eliminate the delta delay between audio and signaling,
therefore reducing the chance of ring and speech clipping at beginning of
call. Other suggestions to address this problem are welcome.

In the draft we recommend that for Telephony service, per DSCP traffic
conditioning, policing of EF and CS5 market packets interpedently be
performed, as well flow admission control needs to be performed so that
oversubscription within the Telephony services does not occur.
 
Regards, Joe.
-----Original Message-----
From: Fil Dickinson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 12:27 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tsvwg] draft-baker-diffserv-basic-classes-02

My understanding of this draft is that it proposes the Voice signalling and
Voice Bearer are transported in the same class with the exception being
"signaling flows between high capacity telephony call servers or soft
switches". 
I am concerned with this. During testing of our multi-vendor converged
network I have seen that oversubscribed voice bearer traffic can disrupt the
voice signalling traffic which results in abnormal operation of all voice
calls [re-registration (outage) of IP Phones]. I would like to see this
addressed by a draft that mandates All Voice Signalling and Voice Bearer
traffic operate in distinct classes. Ie, a Telephony Signalling Service
Class and a Telephony Bearer Service Class.

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg
_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg