Subject: [Tsvwg] SCTP: suggested socket option SCTP_WINDOW_CLAMP

From: Mark Butler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 11:08:50 -0700

I have a suggested SCTP socket option: SCTP_WINDOW_CLAMP.  This would 
set the maximum size of the advertised association receive window, 
regardless of available buffering.  Linux TCP uses a similar 
TCP_WINDOW_CLAMP option.

  The primary use of window clamping is network burst control. Clamping 
the window smaller than the buffer size isolates the receive window from 
application scheduling delays.  This allows you to control the amount of 
data in flight to any given association, without reducing the amount of 
receive buffering for the application.  This is particularly useful when 
the network latency is low compared to the application scheduling delay.

This is an option that both shared buffer and independent buffer 
implementations could easily implement and benefit from, with properly 
portable semantics across both styles.   It is also equally applicable 
to one-to-one and one-to-many sockets. 

Comments?

 - Mark

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg