Subject: [Tsvwg] SCTP socket api: SCTP_RTOINFO vs. SCTP_ASSOCINFO vs. SCTP_STATUS

From: Mark Butler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:44:49 -0700

Hello Randall,

I noticed the SCTP_RTOINFO, SCTP_ASSOCINFO, and SCTP_STATUS socket 
options are redundant, and should probably be merged in some fashion. 

There should be a single read only SCTP_ASSOC_INFO option used to get 
all the information about the association and a write only 
SCTP_ASSOC_PARAMS option to set association parameters,  split the way 
the read only SCTP_GET_PEER_ADDR_INFO is separated from the write only 
SCTP_PEER_ADDR_PARAMS.    The _INFO suffix should always indicate a read 
only option.  Also, the _GET_ infix in SCTP_GET_PEER_ADDR_INFO is 
redundant, and ought to be removed.

Comments anyone?

 - Mark

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:04:13 +0100

Hi Mark,

I do not see why the three options are redundant (only the peer rwnd  
seems to be part of the SCTP_STATUS
and the SCTP_ASSOCINFO). I think it is good to be able to access  
information by piece. I might
be interested in modifying the parameters in the SCTP_RTOINFO  
structure but I'm not interested in the
parameters of the other structures.

Therefore I think there is no need in replacing the three socket  
options by one.

Best regards
Michael

On Dec 23, 2005, at 10:44 PM, Mark Butler wrote:

> There should be a single read only SCTP_ASSOC_INFO option used to  
> get all the information about the association and a write only  
> SCTP_ASSOC_PARAMS option to set association parameters,  split the  
> way the read only SCTP_GET_PEER_ADDR_INFO is separated from the  
> write only SCTP_PEER_ADDR_PARAMS.    The _INFO suffix should always  
> indicate a read only option.  Also, the _GET_ infix in  
> SCTP_GET_PEER_ADDR_INFO is redundant, and ought to be removed.
>
> Comments anyone?
>
> - Mark
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>