Subject: [Tsvwg] UPDATED Document Action: 'Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) Specification Errata and Issues' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:28:08 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) Specification Errata and Issues
'
   <draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpimpguide-16.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpimpguide-16.txt

Technical Summary

   This document is a compilation of issues found during six
   interoperability events and 5 years of experience with implementing,
   testing, and using SCTP along with the suggested fixes.  This
   document provides deltas to RFC 2960 and is organized in a time based
   way.     Each section describes a problem that was found, details of
   the solution, and the snapshot of textual changes or delta for that
   problem solution.
   
   The issues are listed in the order they were found or brought up.
   The document provides a history of errata and deltas, and therefore
   some text is changed several times.  The detailed process of 
   deriving 2960bis from the present document is not discussed in
   this document.
 
 Working Group Summary

  The working group reviewed the proposal to publish this Informational
  record of the issues and fixes to RFC 2960 in this form and gave consent
  to this plan.  The rationale for publishing it was to cap revisions to
  the long and complex RFC 2960 document when the bis effort is
  undertaken - this document will be available as the limit on the 
  normative corrections, corrections that have been discovered and vetted
  in interop testing and extensive review. 

  The Responsible Area Director (also a Chair) did question the intended 
  status as Informational, since some of the text changes will eventually modify
 
  a Proposed Standard document, RFC 2960.  The working group was not
  supportive of the document as a Proposed Standard; the WGLC
  for the document was for an Informational, because that was the
  request made by the authors, and when the AD and the non-AD 
  Chair proposed a WGLC for PS, there were a few vocal objectors,
  including the Editor.

 Nevertheless, since RFC 2026 gives the IESG the discretion to modify
 intended status of documents as required, the Responsible AD
 decided to give the document an IETF Last Call as Proposed Standard
 just in case, while still asking the IESG to review the document as 
 Informational as the WG wished.  If the IESG viewed the document as
 requiring standards track status, it would have been possible to consider
 tht switch further.  The IESG agreed after a short discussion that
 the document could remain as an Informational.
  
Protocol Quality
 
  On a number of the deltas, there was considerable review and discussion,
  so that not only running code, but also detailed protocol review was
  taken into account,  and the working group's comments led to new
  tests and revision of the deltas.

  The Responsible Area Director is Allison Mankin.  The WG Chair shepherd
  is James Polk.

Note to RFC Editor
 
Omit reference [2], RFC 2026, from being a citation and from
the normative references.

Abstract

OLD:
   Because some text is changed several times the last delta in the text
   is the one which should be applied.
NEW:
   Because some text is changed several times, the last delta in
   the document is the erratum for that text in RFC 2960.

1. Introduction

OLD:
   Note that when reading this document one must use care to assure that
   a field or item is not updated further on within the document.  Each
   section should be applied in sequence to the original RFC2960 [7]
   since this document is a historical record of the sequential changes
   that have been found necessary at various inter-op events and through
   discussion on the list.

NEW:
   
   This document is a historical record of sequential changes what have
   been found necessary at various interop events and through discussion
   on this list.

   Note that because some text is changed several times, the last delta
   for a text in the document is the erratum for that text in RFC 2960.

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg