Subject: RE: [Tsvwg] <draft-lefaucheur-emergency-rsvp> : Preemption scope (UNCLASSIFIED)

From: "Dolly, Martin C, ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 13:02:19 -0500

An,

We do not preempt and this is a rat hole argument that we want to stay
away from until we get another service other than voice, so that we can
define the rules.

Martin 

-----Original Message-----
From: Nguyen, An P CIV NCS NC2 [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 1:04 PM
To: Dolly, Martin C, ALABS; Francois Le Faucheur (flefauch)
Cc: Andre, Nicholas E CIV NCS NC2; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Tsvwg] <draft-lefaucheur-emergency-rsvp> : Preemption
scope (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED 
Caveats: NONE

I don't see "to be able to preempt other ETS emergency type sessions
(the ones with lower preemption priorities)" as an issue as long as the
preemption does not spill over in the public domain.

An

-----Original Message-----
From: Dolly, Martin C, ALABS [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 3:18 PM
To: Francois Le Faucheur (flefauch); [email-masked]
Cc: Nguyen, An P CIV NCS NC2; Andre, Nicholas E CIV NCS NC2
Subject: RE: [Tsvwg] <draft-lefaucheur-emergency-rsvp> : Preemption
scope

Hello,

Preemption is NEVER allowed for ETS calls/sessions in public networks.
This needs to be corrected.

Cheers,

Martin 

-----Original Message-----
From: Francois Le Faucheur (flefauch) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 12:40 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tsvwg] <draft-lefaucheur-emergency-rsvp> : Preemption scope

Hello,

<draft-lefaucheur-emergency-rsvp-01.txt> identified two open items. This
is to sollicit feed-back on resolution of the first one: Preemption
Scope.
Thanks

Francois, Ken, James

Requirement:
============
Quoting from <emergency-rsvp-01>:
"
It has been identified that some ETS emergency type sessions would need:
   - to benefit from elevated admission priority
   - to be able to preempt other ETS emergency type sessions (the ones
with lower preemption priorities) 
   - to not be able to preempt non-emergency sessions.
One approach to address this requirement is to add a new Flag in the
Preemption Priority Policy Element in order to reduce the scope of the
RSVP preemption mechanism to emergency sessions. Feedback is sought on
this requirement and potential solution. This will be addressed further
in next revisions of this document. 
"

Proposed Resolution:
====================
After more discussions, we propose to include the flag inside the
"Admission Priority" Policy Element.
The "Admission Priority" description would be changed to something like:

"
The format of Admission Priority policy element is as follows:

      +-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+
      |     Length                | P-Type = ADMISSION_PRI    |
      +-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+
      | Flags       | M. Strategy | Error Code  | Reserved    |
      +-------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+
      | Rvd    | Pri|            Reserved                     |
      +---------------------------+---------------------------+

...<clip>

Flags: 8 bits

       0x01 = Reduced_Preemption_Scope
		 * When the Reduced_Preemption_Scope flag is on, in case
a Preemption policy element is signaled for this reservation, the
preemption MUST be enforced ONLY against other reservations which have
an elevated admission priority (i.e. which have also been signaled with
an Admission Priority policy element). The preemption MUST NOT be
enforced against other reservations which do not have an elevated
admission priority (i.e. which have been signaled without an Admission
Priority policy element). As an example, this flag can be used to
realize a policy where some "emergency" sessions need to be able to
preempt some other "emergency" sessions but where non-emergency sessions
must not be subject to preemption.
		* When the Reduced_Preemption_Scope flag is off, in case
a Preemption policy element is signaled for this reservation, the
preemption MUST be enforced against any other reservation regardless of
its admission priority.
		* Note that when a Preemption policy element is not
signaled for this reservation, the Reduced_Preemption_Scope flag is
irrelevant and this session MUST NOT preempt any other session
regardless of its admission priority.

       Other flags: Reserved (MUST be set to zero on transmit and
ignored on receive)

...<clip>

"
Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED 
Caveats: NONE

---

From: "Nguyen, An P CIV NCS NC2" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 13:04:09 -0400

An

-----Original Message-----
From: Dolly, Martin C, ALABS [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 3:18 PM
To: Francois Le Faucheur (flefauch); [email-masked]
Cc: Nguyen, An P CIV NCS NC2; Andre, Nicholas E CIV NCS NC2
Subject: RE: [Tsvwg] <draft-lefaucheur-emergency-rsvp> : Preemption
scope

Hello,

Cheers,

Martin 

-----Original Message-----
From: Francois Le Faucheur (flefauch) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 12:40 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tsvwg] <draft-lefaucheur-emergency-rsvp> : Preemption scope

Hello,

Francois, Ken, James

Requirement:
============

Proposed Resolution:
====================

"

...<clip>

Flags: 8 bits

...<clip>

"