Subject: [Tsvwg] New I-D posted: draft-scharf-tsvwg-quick-start-flow-control-00.txt

From: Michael Scharf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:17:13 +0100

Hi,

I have written a new I-D on some issues that have been noticed during
implementation efforts of the experimental Quick-Start extension (RFC
4782).

I'd be very interested in feedback. I am cross-posting both to
tsvwg and tcpm, since it might be of interest to both communities.

Michael

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Avoiding Interactions of Quick-Start TCP and Flow Control
	Author(s)	: M. Scharf, et al.
	Filename	: draft-scharf-tsvwg-quick-start-flow-control-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2007-2-27
	
   This document describes methods to avoid interactions between the
   flow control of the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and the
   Quick-Start TCP extension.  Quick-Start is an optional TCP congestion
   control mechanism that allows hosts to determine an allowed sending
   rate from feedback of routers along the path.  With Quick-Start, data
   transfers can start with a potentially large congestion window.  In
   order to fully utilize the data rate determined by Quick-Start, the
   sending host must not be limited by the TCP flow control, i. e., the
   amount of free buffer space advertised by the receive window.

   There are two potential interactions between Quick-Start and the TCP
   flow control: First, receivers might not provide sufficiently large
   buffer space after connection setup, or they may implement buffer
   allocation strategies that implicitly assume the slow-start behavior
   on the sender side.  This document therefore provides guidelines for
   buffer allocation in hosts supporting the Quick-Start extension.
   Second, the TCP receive window scaling mechanism interferes with
   Quick-Start when being used in the initial three-way handshake
   connection setup.  This document describes a simple solution to
   overcome this problem.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-scharf-tsvwg-quick-start-flow-control-00.txt

----- End forwarded message -----