Subject: [Tsvwg] Resolution of issue on QoS Parameters encoding in <dime-qos-parameters>, <nsis-qspec> & <tsvwg-emergency-rsvp>

From: Francois Le Faucheur <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 18:37:08 -0800

Hello,

There was one pending issue with draft-ietf-tsvwg-emergency-rsvp.  
This related to consistent QoS Parameters encoding across  <dime-qos- 
parameters>, <nsis-qspec> and <tsvwg-emergency-rsvp>. Please find  
below the proposed resolution that was developed by co-authors of the  
three I-Ds as well as WG chairs of the corresponding WGs. Please let  
us know if you have issue/concern with this.

Thanks

Francois

The Issue:
=======
Three different documents (dime-qos-parameters, nsis-qos-nslp, tsvwg- 
emergency-rsvp) need to convey an overlapping set of QoS parameters  
(specifically RPH-Priority and Admission Priority) and currently do  
that in an inconsistent manner. This has been brought up and  
partially discussed on the WG mailing lists.

The Proposed Resolution
===================
Co-authors of the three I-Ds as well as WG chairs of the  
corresponding WGs converged on the following proposed resolution.  
Please let us know if you have an issue/concern with this.

o Regarding RPH-Priority:
	* tsvwg-emergency-rsvp will go ahead with its requests to IANA to  
provide numerical registry for RPH priority (via extending existing  
RPH registry). See IANA Considerations section of tsvwg-emergency-rsvp.
	* nsis-qspec (in section 6.2.10) will point to this registry instead  
of defining its own values
	* dime-qos-parameters (in section 4.11) will point to this registry  
instead of defining its own values
	* tsvwg-emergency-rsvp (in section 3.2) will keep pointing to this  
registry.

o Regarding Admission Priority:
	* every protocol spec will only indicate that "higher value means  
higher priority".
	* there is no attempt to define what specific values should be used  
for what. this is left outside the scope of the protocol specs.
	* each protocol spec will add a statement clarifying that a given  
Admission Priority is to be encoded with the same value in each of  
the three protocol spec. For example, in tsvwg-emergency-rsvp, under  
section 3.1.  we will add:
"      A given Admission Priority is encoded in this information element
	using the same value as when encoded in the Admission Priority
	parameter defined in section 6.2.9 of [nsis-qspec], or in the Admission
	 Priority parameter defined in section 4.10 of [dime-qos-parameters].
	In other words, a given value in any of the [emergency-rsvp] Admission
	Priority information element, the [nsis-qspec] Admission Priority  
parameter
	or the [dime-qos-parameters] Admission Priority parameter, refers to
	the same Admission Priority.
"
	* the mirror statement will be added in nsis-qspec (section 6.2.9)  
and dime-qos-parameters (section 4.10)

Francois