Subject: [Tsvwg] I-D Action:draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 06:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Byte and Packet Congestion Notification
	Author(s)       : B. Briscoe
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-00.txt
	Pages           : 37
	Date            : 2008-08-07

This memo concerns dropping or marking packets using active queue
management (AQM) such as random early detection (RED) or pre-
congestion notification (PCN).  The primary conclusion is that packet
size should be taken into account when transports read congestion
indications, not when network equipment writes them.  Reducing drop
of small packets has some tempting advantages: i) it drops less
control packets, which tend to be small and ii) it makes TCP's bit-
rate less dependent on packet size.  However, there are ways of
addressing these issues at the transport layer, rather than reverse
engineering network forwarding to fix specific transport problems.
Network layer algorithms like the byte-mode packet drop variant of
RED should not be used to drop fewer small packets, because that
creates a perverse incentive for transports to use tiny segments,
consequently also opening up a DoS vulnerability.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.