Subject: [Tsvwg] Fwd: Third Nomcom 2008-9 Call for Volunteers!

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 17:13:04 -0500

Please volunteer

The more volunteers, the better the community representation sample, 
the better the outcome for NONCOM selection.

>From: NomCom Chair <[email-masked]>
>To: IETF Announcement list <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Third Nomcom 2008-9 Call for Volunteers!
>Date: Fri,  1 Aug 2008 08:27:26 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Third Nomcom 2008-9 Call for Volunteers!
>I am pleased to report that there are 48 volunteers whose
>qualifications have been confirmed by the secretariat.
>There are 9 more volunteers awaiting confirmation.
>However, We need more volunteers.
>Please!
>Yes, you have until August 18th, 2008 as stated below (with the year
>corrected from the typo in the initial announcement).  But it is
>better for all concerned if you can volunteer early.  Please do so.
>The full details are included below.  Please use the listed format, as
>that helps me and the secretariat do our jobs better.
>
>In a separate note I will be providing the current expected Nomcom
>schedule, the anticipated seed sources for the random selection, and
>the current list of volunteers.
>
>Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you,
>Joel M. Halpern
>
>
>Once again, the IETF nominating process has begun, and the community
>(and I) need your help.  The IETF Nominating Committee appoints folks to
>fill the open slots on the IAOC, the IAB, and the IESG.  The people who
>do that are 10 folks selected randomly from the pool of volunteers.
>To make this work well for the community, we need people to volunteer.
>Lots of people.  Please!
>
>Volunteers must have attended 3 of the past 5 IETF meetings.  As defined
>by RFC 3777, that is 3 of the past 5 meetings as of the time this
>announcement goes out to start the solicitation. If you qualify, and are
>willing to forgo appointment to any of the positions for which the
>nominating committee is responsible, please volunteer.  Details on the
>nominating process can be found in RFC 3777.
>
>Below is the list of people and posts whose terms end with the March
>2009 IETF meeting, and whose positions therefore the nominating
>committee is responsible for:
>
>IAOC:
>Jonne Soininen
>
>IAB:
>Loa Andersson
>Barry Leiba
>Kurtis Lindqvist
>Danny McPherson
>Dave Thaler
>Lixia Zhang
>
>IESG:
>IETF and IESG Chair: Russ Housley
>Applications Area (app): Chris Newman
>Internet Area (int): Mark Townsley
>Operations and Management Area (ops): Ronald Bonica
>Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area (rai):
>     Jon Peterson
>Routing Area (rtg): David Ward
>Security Area (sec): Tim Polk
>Transport Area (tsv): Lars Eggert
>
>Before volunteering, please think about whether you want to be
>considered for one of the above positions instead.  If you are willing
>to volunteer, please send email before 5:00 pm EDT (2100 UTC/GMT) August
>18, 2008 (otherwise, please read on)
>
>Please send email to me using the following skeleton:
>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Nomcom 2008-9 Volunteer
>Body:
>
><Your Full Name>  // As you enter in the IETF Registration Form,
>                   // First/Given name followed by Last/Family Name
><Current Primary Affiliation>
>                   // typically what goes in the Company field
>                   //  in the IETF Registration Form
>[<all email addresses used to Register for the past 5 IETF meetings>]
><Preferred email address>  //
><Telephone number>         // For confirmation if selected
>
>Please expect an email response from me within 1-2 days stating
>whether you are qualified or not.  If you don't receive anything, please
>re-send your email with the tag (duplicate) in the subject line.
>During the IETF meeting in Dublin, responses will be somewhat slower,
>due to both my activities at the meeting and the secretariat's many
>activities in support of the meeting.   I will try to send out at least
>a prompt confirmation that your email volunteering has been received.
>
>
>Not convinced yet?  Please consider that nomcom members play an
>important role in shaping the leadership of the IETF.  If you are a
>people person, you will enjoy meeting many of the active contributors to
>the IETF.  If you prefer instead to read a lot of email, well, we have
>that too.  Being a nomcom member is also an important responsibility: it
>requires adherence to confidentiality rules and some time commitment
>from the members.  The term of this nomcom will begin in early September
>this year.  We will be talking with folks at the Minneapolis IETF (if
>you are there.  It is not mandatory that all nomcom members come to the
>meeting.)  I hope to wrap up our primary selection work by mid-December,
>and we must complete our selection work by mid-January.
>
>We will be collecting requirements from the community, as well as
>talking to candidates and to community members about candidates.
>There will be weekly conference calls to ensure progress.
>
>
>Nomcom members are selected following a publicly verifiable random
>selection method specified in RFC 3797.
>
>For the nomcom to work as it should, the pool from which the volunteers
>are chosen should be as large as possible. The more people who
>volunteer, the better chance we have of choosing a random yet
>representative cross section of the IETF population.
>
>Ensuring the leadership of the IETF is fair and balanced and comprised
>of those who can lead the IETF in the right direction is an important
>responsibility that rests on the IETF participants at large.
>Volunteering for the nomcom is a good way of contributing in that
>direction.  So please volunteer!
>
>
>I will be publishing a more thorough and precise target timetable, as
>well as details of the randomness seeds to be used for the RFC 3797
>selection process within the next few days.
>
>
>Thank you, and I hope to hear from you,
>Joel M. Halpern
>[email-masked]
>[email-masked]
>
>_______________________________________________
>IETF-Announce mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce