Subject: [tsvwg] Query on the SCTP primary path recovery

From: Prasanna Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 19:34:44 +0530

Hi All,

I have a query regarding the primary path recovery.

In SCTP RFC, it only talks about the setting an inactive path into active
once it receives the heartbeat ack from the peer on that path. In case if
the primary path is down for some time and it comes back later, is it
required to restore the primary path back to original one and use it for
further data transmission?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Prasanna :-)

---

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 18:19:00 +0200

On May 3, 2012, at 4:04 PM, Prasanna Kumar wrote:

> In SCTP RFC, it only talks about the setting an inactive path into active once it receives the heartbeat ack from the peer on that path. In case if the primary path is down for some time and it comes back later, is it required to restore the primary path back to original one and use it for further data transmission?
It is an implementation decision. The SCTP implementation in FreeBSD does not change
the primary path once it becomes unreachable. So, if it is reachable again, it will get
the traffic again.

Best regards
Michael

---

From: Prasanna Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 11:25:22 +0530

Thanks Michael,

So from your answer, it is clear that we can use the primary path for the
data transmission as earlier once it becomes active/reachable. Thanks a lot
for quick answer.

Regards,
Prasanna.

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Michael Tuexen <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> > In SCTP RFC, it only talks about the setting an inactive path into
> active once it receives the heartbeat ack from the peer on that path. In
> case if the primary path is down for some time and it comes back later, is
> it required to restore the primary path back to original one and use it for