Subject: [tsvwg] APPSDIR review of draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-16

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2016 09:49:54 -0700

I have been selected as the Applications Area Directorate reviewer 
for this draft (for background on APPSDIR, please see 
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/ApplicationsAreaDirectorate ).

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments 
you may receive. Please wait for direction from your document 
shepherd or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-16
Title: UDP Usage Guidelines
Reviewer: S. Moonesamy
Review Date: August 5, 2016
IETF Last Call Date: May 17, 2016

Summary: This draft is almost ready for publication as an Best Common 
Practice RFC.

The document is applicable to application protocol designers instead 
of application developers as the recommendation about UDP would have 
to be part of the application protocol for ease of implementation.

Major issues: None

Minor issues:

In Section 3.1.9:

   "Applications intended for the Internet SHOULD NOT assume that
    QoS mechanisms are supported by the networks they use, and
    therefore need to provide congestion control, error recovery,
    etc. in case the actual network path does not provide
    provisioned service."

Is there a case when an application intended for use on the Internet 
can assume that QoS mechanisms are supported throughout both ends of 
the connection?

Nits:

In Section 1:

   "In such cases, it is RECOMMENDED that application designers cite
    the respective section(s) of this document in the technical
    specification of their application or protocol and explain
    their rationale for their design choice.'

The RFC 2119 key word is used before its definition in Section 2.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 03:59:09 +0000

> can assume that QoS mechanisms are supported throughout both ends of

I guess that begs the definition of "intended for the Internet" - if such an
application has complete knowledge of the network path or paths involved
it could know that there is provisioned QoS.  That's a specialized case, but
it is possible.

Thanks, --David (as draft shepherd).

> -----Original Message-----
> From: tsvwg [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of S Moonesamy
> Sent: Friday, August 05, 2016 12:50 PM
> To: [email-masked]; Lars Eggert; Godred Fairhurst; Greg Shepherd
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: [tsvwg] APPSDIR review of draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-16
>