Subject: [tsvwg] FW: I-D Action: draft-black-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation-01.txt

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 20:56:07 +0000

This version picks up all the review comments, with the exception of Bob Briscoe's -
Bob sent me a very extensive review privately that merits spending another version
of the draft on - watch for a -02 version of this draft soon.

Thanks, --David

-----Original Message-----
From: I-D-Announce [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 4:52 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action: draft-black-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Experimentation
        Author          : David Black
	Filename        : draft-black-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation-01.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2016-10-25

Abstract:
   Multiple protocol experiments have been proposed that involve changes
   to Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) as specified in RFC 3168.
   This memo summarizes the proposed areas of experimentation to provide
   an overview to the Internet community and updates RFC 3168, a
   Proposed Standard RFC, to allow the experiments to proceed without
   requiring a standards process exception for each Experimental RFC to
   update RFC 3168.  In addition, this memo makes related updates to the
   ECN specification for RTP in RFC 6679 for the same reason.  Each
   experiment is still required to be documented in an Experimental RFC.
   This memo also records the conclusion of the ECN Nonce experiment in
   RFC 3540, obsoletes RFC 3540 and reclassifies it as Historic.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-black-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-black-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-black-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 22:46:03 +0100

David,

> of the draft on - watch for a -02 version of this draft soon.
In addition to my prior offlist review comments, here's one more I 
noticed, while checking the -01:

2. Scope

CURRENT:
    ECT Differences:  Use ECT(1) to request ECN congestion marking
       behavior in the network that differs from ECT(0), e.g., as
       proposed in [I-D.briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id].  This is at variance
       with RFC 3168's requirement that ECT(0)-marked traffic and ECT(1)-
       marked traffic not receive different treatment in the network.
PROPOSED:
    ECT Differences:  Use ECT(1) to request more frequent ECN congestion 
marking
       behavior in the network counterbalanced by a reduced response to 
each mark
       at the sender, both of which differ from ECT(0), e.g., as
       proposed in [I-D.briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id].  This is at variance
       with RFC 3168's requirement that ECT(0)-marked traffic and ECT(1)-
       marked traffic not receive different treatment.
RATIONALE:
L4S alters both sender and network behaviour, not just network.

Bob

-- 
________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe                               http://bobbriscoe.net/

---

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 00:56:03 +0000

Got it, I changed "reduced" to "changed" in the new text.

Thanks, --David

> From: Bob Briscoe [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2016 5:46 PM
> To: Black, David
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: One additional edit for draft-black-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation-01.txt
> 
> David,
> 
>