Subject: [tsvwg] Moved to Historic: RFC 3540 on Robust Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Signaling with Nonces

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 15:14:01 -0800 (PST)

RFC 3540 has been reclassified as Historic.

        RFC 3540

        Title:      Robust Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) 
                    Signaling with Nonces 
        Author:     N. Spring,
                    D. Wetherall,
                    D. Ely
        Status:     Historic
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2003
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 30081
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-nonce-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc3540

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC3540

This note describes the Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)-nonce, an optional addition to ECN that protects against accidental or malicious concealment of marked packets from the TCP sender.  It improves the robustness of congestion control by preventing receivers from exploiting ECN to gain an unfair share of network bandwidth.  The ECN-nonce uses the two ECN-Capable Transport (ECT)codepoints in the ECN field of the IP header, and requires a flag in the TCP header.  It is computationally efficient for both routers and hosts. 

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

HISTORIC: This memo defines a Historic Document for the Internet
community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC