Subject: [tsvwg] Protocol Action: 'Relaxing Restrictions on Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Experimentation' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 15:52:29 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Relaxing Restrictions on Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)
   Experimentation'
  (draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation/

Technical Summary

   This memo updates RFC 3168, which specifies Explicit Congestion
   Notification (ECN) as a replacement for packet drops as indicators of
   network congestion.  It relaxes restrictions in RFC 3168 that would
   otherwise hinder experimentation towards benefits beyond just removal
   of loss.  The memo summarizes the anticipated areas of
   experimentation and updates RFC 3168 to enable experimentation in
   these areas.  An Experimental RFC is required to take advantage of
   any of these enabling updates.  In addition, this memo makes related
   updates to the ECN specifications for RTP in RFC 6679 and for DCCP in
   RFC 4341, RFC 4342 and RFC 5622.  The memo also records the
   conclusion of the ECN Nonce experiment in RFC 3540, and provides the
   rationale for reclassification of RFC 3540 as Historic; this
   reclassification enables new experimental use of the ECT(1)
   codepoint.

Working Group Summary

   The document was adopted by the working group to enable 
   two specific pieces of work - ABE (now in TCPM) and L4S 
   (now a working group item in TSVWG). Both these items of work 
   currently have experimental status, yet seek to modify the 
   ECN specification produced by TSVWG - specifically to obsolete 
   the ECN NONCE. This topic has been discussed in TSVWG 
   over many years and it is finally the consensus that the 
   experiment has concluded and that the ECN NONCE 
   specification is no longer recommended for deployment.

   Note that this specification is the supporting RFC for a 
   change of RFC 3540 (EXP) status to Historic. The actual
   status change document is 
   status-change-ecn-signaling-with-nonces-to-historic. 

Document Quality

   The document has received significant review by several people 
   in TSVWG - both as an individual submission and as as WG draft, 
   including detailed feedback from M Welzl and B Briscoe. 
   Minor updates were made in response to last call comments 
   and this document is therefore ready to proceed.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd is  Gorry Fairhurst.
   The responsible Area Director is Spencer Dawkins.