Subject: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 05:53:14 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : DualQ Coupled AQMs for Low Latency, Low Loss and Scalable Throughput (L4S)
        Authors         : Koen De Schepper
                          Bob Briscoe
                          Olga Bondarenko
                          Ing-jyh Tsang
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled-08.txt
	Pages           : 41
	Date            : 2018-11-04

Abstract:
   The Low Latency Low Loss Scalable Throughput (L4S) architecture
   allows data flows over the public Internet to predictably achieve
   ultra-low queuing latency, generally zero congestion loss and scaling
   of per-flow throughput without the problems of traditional TCP.  To
   achieve this, L4S data flows use a 'scalable' congestion control
   similar to Data Centre TCP (DCTCP) and a form of Explicit Congestion
   Notification (ECN) with modified behaviour.  However, until now,
   scalable congestion controls did not co-exist with existing TCP Reno/
   Cubic traffic---scalable controls are so aggressive that 'Classic'
   TCP algorithms drive themselves to starvation.  Therefore, until now,
   L4S controls could only be deployed where a clean-slate environment
   could be arranged, such as in private data centres (hence the name
   DCTCP).  This specification defines `DualQ Coupled Active Queue
   Management (AQM)', which enables these scalable congestion controls
   to safely co-exist with Classic Internet traffic.

   The Coupled AQM ensures that a flow runs at about the same rate
   whether it uses DCTCP or TCP Reno/Cubic.  It achieves this
   indirectly, without having to inspect transport layer flow
   identifiers, When tested in a residential broadband setting, DCTCP
   also achieves sub-millisecond average queuing delay and zero
   congestion loss under a wide range of mixes of DCTCP and `Classic'
   broadband Internet traffic, without compromising the performance of
   the Classic traffic.  The solution also reduces network complexity
   and eliminates network configuration.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled-08
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/