Subject: Aversing Colorado to look after their interests," he an

From: Hasler Boutwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 23:08:43 +0200

O doubt that this is true. You will readily see, under the
circumstances, that I did not time my visits watch in hand, but the
charge of a _liaison_ there would be ridiculous were it not so vulgar
and malicious. There was some sort of a tragedy in the woman's life, but
I have no idea whatever as to its nature." "With your handwriting on
both the outside and inside of the package, your intimate relations with
the family, the complications of this surgical case, the fact that you
were practically in Boston at the time the package was mailed, and the
total lack of suspicion of any one else," said Frank, checking the
indictments off on his fingers, "they have a fairly convincing case
against you, old man, and if you know anything that can break these
theories down now is the time to divulge it." "Naturally, if there were
anything of the kind you imply, it would be easier for me to discuss it
with you than with my leading counsel," his brother replied, "but
equally, of course, in such a case, I should not have employed a woman
to defend me; certainly not such a rabid feminist as Miss Holland. I
have told her all I know, all I can conjecture, but candidly, Frank, I
fear she is greatly worried over the outcome. I know the difficulty in
overcoming gossip and prejudice and jealousy, and if that cannot be done
I fear I must pay the penalty of being the target of their shafts.
Crushing as that is, there is one haunting thought that is even more
intolerable," he concluded. "And that is?" "That the last thought of
that unhappy woman was that I sent the candied fruit. She may have
realized in that brief second of time that it caused her death. I hope
to prove my innocence to the world, but she has passed beyond the reach
of proof." "She has also passed beyond the need of it," answered his
brother quickly. "Why don't you comfort yourself with the thought that,
no matter who else may be deceived, wherever she is, she knows the
truth?" There had been something akin to