Subject: [Unbearable] Macaroons

From: Tony Arcieri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 20:29:01 -0800

Hi there.

I just discovered your group today and haven't read your charter yet, but I
just need to ask... have you heard of Macaroons?

They're a highly flexible bearer token format providing simple
implementations of a number of concepts, including "contextual caveats" as
one of their principal features:

https://static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/en/us/pubs/archive/41892.pdf

Perhaps one of the most interesting things about them is any holder of an
unconfined Macaroon can "attenuate" it offline and add a contextual caveat
using a chained HMAC operation. The resulting Macaroon is non-transferrable
(bound to e.g. TLS channel ID)

I've been considering starting an IETF working group specifically about
Macaroons, but decided against it. However, I'd be happy to join forces
with you!

Relevant thread:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/macaroons/lKaJnUXyKL0

-- 
Tony Arcieri