Subject: [Unbearable] AD Review: draft-ietf-tokbind-negotiation-09.txt

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2017 12:59:17 -0700

A rich version of this review can be found at:

https://mozphab-ietf.devsvcdev.mozaws.net/D48

   1. If you make an account and login, you can respond to the comments

and we can try to resolve them before you produce a new draft.

   1. When you're ready to produce a new draft, you can either upload

it to the draft repo or send me the pre-draft and either way I'll
take care of getting it uploaded here, so we can see diffs, etc.

*INLINE COMMENTS*
View Inline <https://mozphab-ietf.devsvcdev.mozaws.net/D47#inline-326>
draft-ietf-tokbind-negotiation.txt:102
uint8 minor;
} ProtocolVersion;

you should note that this is taken from RFC 5246 or rename it.

View Inline <https://mozphab-ietf.devsvcdev.mozaws.net/D47#inline-327>
draft-ietf-tokbind-negotiation.txt:110
ProtocolVersion token_binding_version;
TokenBindingKeyParameters key_parameters_list<1..2^8-1>
} TokenBindingParameters;

This is kind of hard to read because you are just defining the size of the
enum here and then you have the definitions in the other draft. I think you
should instead copy the definition from the other draft and then have a
pointer, because as is it looks like no values are defined.

View Inline <https://mozphab-ietf.devsvcdev.mozaws.net/D47#inline-328>
draft-ietf-tokbind-negotiation.txt:117
client. [I-D.ietf-tokbind-protocol] describes version {1, 0} of the
protocol.

I see you are using the TLS 1.2 negotiation structures. You should probably
add some text to make clear that this implies you are supporting all lower
values.

View Inline <https://mozphab-ietf.devsvcdev.mozaws.net/D47#inline-329>
draft-ietf-tokbind-negotiation.txt:158
protocol version offered by the client in the "token_binding"
extension and the highest version supported by the server.

Given our experience with TLS negotiation, you probably need to state very
clearly that you need to do min(client, server) version even if the client
version is higher than you know about.

View Inline <https://mozphab-ietf.devsvcdev.mozaws.net/D47#inline-330>
draft-ietf-tokbind-negotiation.txt:193
extensions are not negotiated (see security considerations
section below for more details).

I would tend to think that some of these would be illegal_parameter.

View Inline <https://mozphab-ietf.devsvcdev.mozaws.net/D47#inline-331>
draft-ietf-tokbind-negotiation.txt:210
Please note that the Token Binding protocol version and key
parameters are negotiated for each TLS connection, which means that

I would remove "please note" here, because you aren't reminding people,
this is a separate requirement.

*REPOSITORY*
rIETFREVIEW ietf-review

*REVISION DETAIL*
https://mozphab-ietf.devsvcdev.mozaws.net/D47

*EMAIL PREFERENCES*
https://mozphab-ietf.devsvcdev.mozaws.net/settings/panel/emailpreferences/

*To: *ekr-moz, ekr