Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-urlreg-procedures-04.txt

From: "Craig A. Finseth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 09:48:14 -0600 (CST)

Does anyone know how to obtain an "OID"?

The IANA has no mention of this term on their site.

Craig

---

From: "Craig A. Finseth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 11:09:54 -0600 (CST)

This is information that may wish to be (rewritten and) added to the
Internet-Draft.

"OIDs" are assigned by ANSI.  The procedure to obtain one can be found at:

	http://web.ansi.org/public/services/reg_org.html

Note that ANSI refers to these identifiers as the "numeric form of the
Organization Name".  They do not use the term "organization ID"
anywhere.  We may wish to change the prefix accordingly, or may not.

There is a fee of $1,000 per number.  Add your own interpretation as
to whether this fee will help or simply encourage people to make up
their own numbers.

Craig

---

From: "Larry Masinter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 10:52:00 PST

IETF has an organization number, and IANA will give you an OID
if you just ask for one.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter

---

From: "Craig A. Finseth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 13:31:07 -0600 (CST)

I'll look again on their site.  Didn't find it the first time.

Craig

---

From: "Larry Masinter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 00:03:34 PST

Dear IANA: is there an IANA registry for handing out OIDs under the
"IETF" part of the tree? I thought I remembered that there was
an "IETF" organizational tree and that IANA handled sub-registration
under it, but I can't find this again anywhere.

Larry