Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-urlreg-procedures-04.txt

From: Ian King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 10:48:48 -0800

Craig, thank you for raising this point -- it did not come up at the WG's
last meeting.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig A. Finseth [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, November 06, 1998 9:10 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-urlreg-procedures-04.txt

This is information that may wish to be (rewritten and) added to the
Internet-Draft.

"OIDs" are assigned by ANSI.  The procedure to obtain one can be found at:

	http://web.ansi.org/public/services/reg_org.html

Note that ANSI refers to these identifiers as the "numeric form of the
Organization Name".  They do not use the term "organization ID"
anywhere.  We may wish to change the prefix accordingly, or may not.

There is a fee of $1,000 per number.  Add your own interpretation as
to whether this fee will help or simply encourage people to make up
their own numbers.

Craig

---

From: "Craig A. Finseth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 13:35:13 -0600 (CST)

You're welcome.  I admit that I'm new to this and haven't been part of
the discussions, but this approach strikes me as a _lot_ more complex
than the "vnd.<dns name>:" approach (or equivalent).  Everyone knows
how to get DNS names, they're cheap, they're reasonably short, if you
really want a short one you can probably get one (with enough $$ or
equivalent), if you want a different one for a separate organization
you can get one, etc.

I haven't seen any advantages to the OID approach: they're tied to
organizations just like DNS names (otherwise, that would have been an
advantage), hard to remember/type, expensive, longer in many cases,
and it brings in a whole new organization (ANSI).

Whew.  Now that that's off my chest, I'll be quiet.  Apologies if I
reopened old wounds.

Craig

   -----Original Message-----
   From: Craig A. Finseth [mailto:[email-masked]]
   Sent: Friday, November 06, 1998 9:10 AM
   To: [email-masked]
   Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-urlreg-procedures-04.txt

   Craig