Subject: Document Action: Using Existing Bibliographic Identifiers as Uniform Resource Names to Informational

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 09:50:39 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Using Existing Bibliographic
Identifiers as Uniform Resource Names' <draft-ietf-urn-biblio-02.txt>
as a Informational.  This document is the product of the Uniform
Resource Names Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Harald
Alvestrand and Keith Moore.

---

From: "John C. Mallery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 07:51:18 -0500

AAP DEVELOPS DIGITAL I.D. SYSTEM FOR PUBLICATIONS
The Association of American Publishers, in conjunction with the Corporation
for National Research Initiatives, has developed an electronic
identification system for materials on the Internet.  The digital object
identifier (DOI) system links would-be content-users with content
copyright-owners through alphanumeric "tags" attached to each work.  The AAP
hopes the system could eventually be used to restrict access to copyrighted
works, but for now, it's strictly an honor system.  The DOI system will be
maintained and administered by the newly formed International DOI
Foundation.  http://www.doi.org  (CIO 15 Feb 98)