Subject: [URN] Microsoft & URNs

From: Jerome McDonough <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 08:15:30 -0700

Thought this might interest you all.  In an article discussing XML's
use in Microsoft Office 2000
(http://webreview.com/wr/pub/1999/04/02/edge/index.html?wwwrrr_19990402.txt)
, the
author describes writing a simple document in Word and saving it as HTML.
The opening of the resulting document looks like this:

	<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"
     xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
     xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" 
     xmlns="-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN">

I found it intriguing that they're using URNs instead of URLs to define
name spaces.

Jerome McDonough -- [email-masked]  |  (......)
Library Systems Office, 386 Doe, U.C. Berkeley     |  \ *  * /
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000    (510) 642-5168          |  \  <>  /
"Well, it looks easy enough...."                   |   \ -- /  SGNORMPF!!!
         -- From the Famous Last Words file        |    ||||

---

From: Yves Arrouye <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 11:49:49 -0700

> I found it intriguing that they're using URNs instead of URLs 

Though the last time I checked, they didn't provide a way to get to their
document through a standard URN resolution mechanism. So it's quite useless
right now.

Yves.