Subject: a detailed technical issue with the DDDS stuff

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:02:12 -0400

Hi all,
 I'm making some final edits to the DDDS documents based on comments
I've recieved (only a few which is good!). The issue is with character sets
and which ones we use in the DNS Database. In the past we assumed
that we were encoding the various flags, services and regexp as
8bit US-ASCII but this probably shouldn't be the case. Here's my
technical question:

Is it the concensus of this group that I should specify that all of the
fields in a NAPTR record that are of the <character-string> type MUST
be in UTF-8?

My recommendation is yes but I want to check with the crowd first....

-MM

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling        |      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions       |          www.lp.org          |  [email-masked]

---

From: "Martin J. Duerst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:10:28 +0900

>My recommendation is yes but I want to check with the crowd first....

I would definitely be with you on this!

Regards,   Martin.