Subject: Does the ISBN NID exist?

From: Justin Couch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 09:44:53 +0800

G'day Folks,

Just starting a new job shortly for an online book company (startup).
Naturally, that leads to the interesting subject of IDing them. The
national library number debate is interesting, but I'm going to need a
more immediate answer.

One of the most often used examples of a URN is using ISBNs. Now, I have
a real interest in knowing whether that really exists or not. I did a
dig through the RFC's and couldn't find it, so my guess is that it does
not exist. If it doesn't, I wouldn't mind getting it running, so I'll
have to find out who is responsible for maintaining that system and
seeing if we can put a proposal together.

--
Justin Couch                                    Author, Java Hacker
http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/               Java 3D FAQ Maintainer
http://www.j3d.org/              J3D.org The Java 3D Community Site
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Humanism is dead. Animals think, feel; so do machines now.
Neither man nor woman is the measure of all things. Every organism
process data according to its domain, its environment; you, with
all your brains, would be useless in a mouse's universe..."
                                              - Greg Bear, Slant
-------------------------------------------------------------------