Subject: Use of URNs by Microsoft

From: Pierre Godefroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 14:44:39 +0200

Dear URN specialists,

As a non computer expert (who is however interested by URN issues as our
international network submitted a specific URN RFC (1) ), I would like
to have your opinions about the use of the URN scheme by the Microsoft
company in the latest versions of its operating systems and software
applications (Word...).

Do you think it is compatible with the existing Internet standardization
framework?

According to our colleagues from the computer department, all URN
"calls" made in such a framework by non Microsoft applications enter
into contradictory relationships with the "native" Microsoft URNs thus
bringing the system to a halt...

Any comments?

Thanking you in advance,

Pierre Godefroy
Assistant to the Director
ISSN International Centre
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

20 rue Bachaumont,
75002 Paris, FRANCE
TEL: +33 (0)1 44.88.22.20 FAX: +33 (0)1 40.26.32.43

(1) RFC 304

    IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force). Using The ISSN
    (International Serial Standard Number) as URN (Uniform Resource
    Names) within an ISSN-URN Namespace
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3044.txt> ed. S. Rozenfeld. 2001.

--