Subject: [urn] The next version of the core documentation is almost ready...

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 19:47:34 -0500

The document editors are preparing and are about to post a new draft
version that attempts to propose resolutions for most open issues and
to call out what remains.  We all expect discussion to ensue, and our
collective goal is to bring this stuff to rough consensus and finish
up the core documentation, replacing 2141 and 3406.

A few words on the "rough consensus" part:
As chair, I'd like to ask everyone to step back from intents, ideals,
and strongly held preferences -- not to eliminate them, but to step
back from them -- and consider what we can accept that will bring us
to closure on these updates and enable the URN deployment cases that
have been brought up.

We know that not everyone will get the results they really want.  What
we hope is that we can come to where everyone can get results they can
accept.  The bottom line is moving forward without breaking what's out
there, even if we might have to break a guiding principle we started
with.

I ask everyone to put their efforts into finding something we can
reach consensus on.  Disagreements will work best with clear
explanations of what's broken and specific alternative solutions.  I'd
like to see us wrap this up before IETF 95 -- so, by the end of March.
If we all put good faith into aiming for that, I think it's a
reachable goal.

I'll be watching the discussion and intend to encourage issue
resolution and discourage arguments that aren't going anywhere,
repetition, ratholes, and repetition.  In particular, we have to
declare dead issues as dead, and not revisit them without significant
information that's truly *new*, and I'll be keeping an eye on that,
especially.  I think that a hard URN/not-URN distinction, continued
discussion of persistence, and discussion of URN resolution/resolvers
are examples of issues that we ought to be done with at this point.

Barry, urnbis chair