Subject: [urn] Fwd: [rfc-dist] RFC 8433 on A Simpler Method for Resolving Alert-Info URNs

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 16:55:05 -0600

Perhaps of interest here...

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [rfc-dist] RFC 8433 on A Simpler Method for Resolving
Alert-Info URNs
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 12:02:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

                RFC 8433

        Title:      A Simpler Method for Resolving
Alert-Info URNs         Author:     D. Worley
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       August 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      45
        Characters: 89902
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-worley-alert-info-fsm-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8433

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8433

The "alert" namespace of Uniform Resource Names (URNs) can be used in
the Alert-Info header field of Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
requests and responses to inform a voice over IP (VoIP) telephone
(user agent) of the characteristics of the call that the user agent
has originated or terminated.  The user agent must resolve the URNs
into a signal; that is, it must select the best available signal to
present to its user to indicate the characteristics of the call.

RFC 7462 describes a non-normative algorithm for signal selection.
This document describes a more efficient alternative algorithm: a
user agent's designer can, based on the user agent's signals and
their meanings, construct a finite state machine (FSM) to process the
URNs to select a signal in a way that obeys the restrictions given in
the definition of the "alert" URN namespace.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC
_______________________________________________
rfc-dist mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
http://www.rfc-editor.org