Subject: #1053 2.1 Relationship to 2822 - revised text

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:11:01 +0200

2.1 Base

 An article is said to be conformant to this specification if it
 conforms to the format specified in RFC 2822 section 3 and to the
 additional requirements of this specification.

 An article that uses the obsolete syntax specified in section 4 of
 [RFC2822], except for the two exceptions mentioned below, is NOT
 conformant to this specification.

 This document, and specifications that build upon it, specifies how
 to handle conformant articles. Handling of non-conformant articles
 is outside the scope of this specification.

 Agents conforming to this specification MUST generate only conformant
 articles.

 Articles are conformant if they use the <obs-phrase> construct
 (use of a phrase like "John Q. Public" without the use of quotes,
 see [RFC2822] section 4.1) but agents MUST NOT generate productions
 of such syntax.

 Articles are conformant if they use the "GMT" timezone, as specified
 in section 3.1.2.

 The text below uses ABNF to specify restrictions on the syntax
 specified in [RFC2822]; this grammar is intended to be more restrictive
 than the RFC 2822 grammar.
 Articles must conform to the ABNF specified in RFC 2822.

 Articles must also conform to the restrictions specified here, both
 those that are expressed as text and those that are expressed as ABNF.

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:26:46 GMT

> Articles are conformant if they use the "GMT" timezone, as specified
                                                ^^^^^^^^
                                                 <zone>
> in section 3.1.2.

If those two paragraphs starting "Articles are ..." were moved two
paragraphs higher, it would be clearer, and the wording could be
simplified slightly ("following" rather than "mentioned below").

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5