Subject: New reference for 3.1.3 (?)

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:07:38 +0200

Hi, the I-D explaining the issues of case-insensitive
DNS labels was just approved as PS:

http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-insensitive-06

Should we add a reference to it in section 3.1.3 ?

Its "security considerations" suggest that some form
of a "canonicalization" is fine - but our "pick what
you like and then pray stick to it" is of course not
what this text proposes.
                        Bye, Frank

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:56:39 GMT

>you like and then pray stick to it" is of course not

Well the present USEFOR contains:

   o  even though commonly derived from <domain>s, <id-rights>s are
      case-sensitive (and thus, once created, are not to be altered
      during subsequent transmission or copying)

which makes our point pretty clear. The most one might add would be:

....from <domain>s (which are case-insensitive according to
[draft-ietf-dnsext-insensitive-06]), <id-rights>s are ...

But actually, <domain> is an RFC 2822 syntax rule, so it really derives
its case-insensitivity from there. I would be inclined to leave it be.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5