Subject: #1003 Message-ID: Resolution

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:16:53 +0200

I make the following resolution of comments:

- Change the first paragraph

FROM:

   The Message-ID header field contains a single unique message
   identifier.  Netnews is more dependent on message identifier
   uniqueness and fast comparison than Email is, and some news software
   might have trouble with the full range of possible <msg-id>s

TO:

   The Message-ID header field contains a single unique message
   identifier.  Netnews is more dependent on message identifier
   uniqueness and fast comparison than Email is, and some news software
   and standards [NNTP] have trouble with the full range of possible
   <msg-id>s

(remember to insert [NNTP] in references)

- Modify examples.

FROM:

   <[email-masked]>
   <"abcd"@example.com>
   <"ab\cd"@example.com>

TO:

   <[email-masked]>
   <"ab.cd"@example.com>
   <"ab.\cd"@example.com>

- Modify end of paragraph.

FROM:

   If domain literals are used, the syntax found in Section 4.1.3 of
   [RFC2821] is RECOMMENDED.

      NOTE: Section 3.6.4 of [RFC2822] recommends that the <id-right>
      should be a domain name or a domain literal.  Domain literals are
      troublesome since many IP addresses are not globally unique;
      domain names are more likely to generate unique Message-IDs.

TO:

   When generating a message-ID, implementations SHOULD use a domain
   name as the <id-right>.

      NOTE: Section 3.6.4 of [RFC2822] recommends that the <id-right>
      should be a domain name or a domain literal.  Domain literals are
      troublesome since many IP addresses are not globally unique;
      domain names are more likely to generate unique Message-IDs.