Subject: Re: Allowing IP addresses as path-identiites (Re: #1047 Path field delimiters and syntax - status)

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 21:27:37 +0200

--On 6. september 2005 14:40 -0400 Seth Breidbart <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> If IP addresses aren't allowed in paths, how is a site to denote "I
> got this from someone claiming to be <domain> but the IP address
> doesn't match, it's actually <ip>"?

That's what I call "diagnostic data" - the site is not inserting its own 
path-identity, so there's no reason to call it a path-identity.
See my proposal to a solution to #1047, dated June 29.

            Harald

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 09:19:38 +0200

--On 7. september 2005 00:16 -0400 "Forrest J. Cavalier III" 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Shucks, I forgot "none of the above" as a choice.....
>> Are you talking about components of the path, or about identities that
>> can  appear in Xref: and Injection-info:?
>
> Since you replied by asking a question....does that mean you agree your
> poll choices are ambigous?

No. I think your question meant that you did not understand my poll 
questions, which I think were completely obvioius given the complete 
message and even the vaguest memory of the thread that led to me asking 
this question.

My question was intended to get you to explain what you did not understand.

But since you seem more interested in nitpicking on the poll formulations 
than in figuring out what the standard should say, I will note that you did 
not answer the question.

                      Harald