Subject: Re: #1416

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:45:16 -0700 (PDT)

Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Recall that even if an incomplete revision is made RFC, it can itself be 
> replaced by another RFC.

I find it unlikley that any further RFC will be produced for news. Hands 
up from everyone here who wants to be in the next IETF USEFOR WG.

---

From: "Frank Ellermann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 22:37:10 +0200

<[email-masked]> wrote:
 
> Hands up from everyone here who wants to be in the
> next IETF USEFOR WG.

I'd look in Netnews drafts tackling topics related
to gateways, i18n (EAI for News), any updates of the
existing stuff, and maybe drafts in the direction of
"dkim" or "useage".

If somebody has the energy to try this.  As former
WG USEFOR qualifies as spectacular failure wrt i18n;
and for my own egocentric calculations I'd be annoyed
if GMaNe cannot support future EAI mailing lists. 

But fortunately this does not require a new USEFOR WG.

 Frank
-- 
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.usenet.format/28390>
| Date: 2005-05-18 13:22:07 GMT (3 years, 11 weeks,
| 5 days, 13 hours and 8 minutes ago)
[...]
| I don't expect to be WG chair for more than about
| 3 months

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 14:22:56 -0700

> up from everyone here who wants to be in the next IETF USEFOR WG.

Given that I fully intended to pursue standards advancement of NNTP and
then, er, didn't, and have since significantly reduced the amount of time
I spend on netnews-related things and probably will be doing more of that
in the future... I'm afraid my hand's staying down.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

---

From: "Charles Lindsey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:25:58 GMT

>> Hands up from everyone here who wants to be in the

My hand is up.

>existing stuff, and maybe drafts in the direction of

However, it might be simpler to let the EAI WG do that extension, if we
are not in a fit state to do it.

EAI, as they propose it, will work fine with Netnews, so all that is
needed would be to define a UTF-8 version of the Newsgroups header (and
this WG did all the groundwork for that years ago), together with a
downgrade mechanism which would only ever have to be used when gatewaying
News to Mailing Lists, and then only at the point where some message on
the Mailing List encountered some non-UT8SMTP mail server.

-- 
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: [email-masked]      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9      Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5