Subject: FYI 7 Outline

From: Ray Plzak <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:38:49 -0500 (EST)

Attached is a detailed draft outline of the revised FYI 7.  I put it in ID
format.  Please bring a copy with you to Adelaide so that we can discuss
it at USWG.

Thanks,

Ray

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< CUT HERE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

INTERNET-DRAFT                                                   R Plzak
draft-ietf-uswg-fyi7-00.txt                                         SAIC
                                                              March 2000

                       FYI on Questions and Answers
      Answers to Commonly Asked"Experienced Internet User" Questions

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
   all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet- Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Abstract

   This memo provides information to the experienced Internet user that
   wants to know more (How does it work? What is it?).  The term
   experienced user is used to differenitate this user from the new user
   addressed by FYI4.  The term experienced is relative.  For the
   purpose of this memo "experienced" is any user who is familiar with
   the concepts described in FYI 4.  The information provided in this
   memo is what may be described as an upper level or top level
   description of some of the applications and protocols that are in
   common use on the Internet today.  This memo does not provide precise
   technical descriptions.  For these the reader should consult the
   appropriate RFC or other documentation.  A conscious effort has been
   made to keep this memo brief but at the same time provide the depth
   of information necessary to provide a general understanding of the
   applications and protocols described.

USWG                     Expires September 2000                 [Page 1]

INTERNET-DRAFT   FYI Q/A for Experienced Internet Users       March 2000

Section 1 Is This Document for Me?

   Concept:

   Ask questions from FYI4.  If yes to x% then OK for FYI7 else FYI4

Section 2 How Does It Work?

   2.1. How Does Email Work?

   Concept:

   The two parts of an email message are the header and the body.  Email
   is composed and read using a Mail User Agent (MUA) and moved across
   the Internet by a Mail Tranfer Agent (MTA) that uses the Simple Mail
   Transfer Protocol (SMTP).

   2.2.  How Does the Web Work?

   Concept:

   Not a thing, implementation of HTTP; Servers; browsers; cookies;
   caches

   2.3. How Does File Transfer Work?

   Concept:

   Applications such as FTP and SMTP are used to move files.  The file
   transfer protocol is designed for file transfer.  When using SMTP the
   file is made a part of an email message.

   2.4. How does DNS work?

   Concept:

   Resolvers, servers, forwarders, caches, search types, FQDN, root
   server, BIND

   2.5 How Does Chat Work?

   Concept:

   Interactive online realtime communication.  Games, MUD, text, audio,
   video

Section 3 What sI I?

   3.1. What is a protocol?

   Concept:

   An agreed to set of rules that define how computers do work.

USWG                     Expires September 2000                 [Page 2]

INTERNET-DRAFT   FYI Q/A for Experienced Internet Users       March 2000

   Organized into groups called layers.  Layers on different computers
   at the same level exchange information.  Different layers on the same
   computer work together to move information about the Internet.

   3.2.  What is an IP address?

   An Internet Protocol (IP) address is a number that is used to
   uniquely identify an Internet host.  It consists of 32 bits divided
   into 4 bytes.  In decimal notation each byte is separated by a dot so
   that a typical IP address could look like this:  152.23.202.7.  An IP
   address does not provide geographical information.  As noted in FYI 4
   [] the Internet consists of computers that are located on networks.
   Thus an IP address consists of two portions - portion that identifies
   a network and a portion that identifies the host.

   Concept:

   32 bit number, dotted decimal form, network portion, host portion,
   CIDR, LAN segment, subnet.

   3.3. What is a packet?

   Concept:

   A chunk of data (information); Size

   3.4. What is a router?

   Concept:

   Computer that receives packets and then sends them to another
   computer.

   3.5. How is a connection made between two computers on the Internet?

   Concept:

   Three way handshake

   3.6. What is DNS?

   Concept:

   Going from names to numbers, distributed data, domains and zones

Section 4 - Other Matters

   4.1. What is an intranet?

   Concept:

   The private internet.

USWG                     Expires September 2000                 [Page 3]

INTERNET-DRAFT   FYI Q/A for Experienced Internet Users       March 2000

   4.2. What is Tunneling?

   Concept:

   VPN, layers 2, 2.5, 3

   4.3. How is private information protected on the Internet?

   Concept:

   User, computer, network security

   4.4. Where do names and numbers come from?

   Concept:

   ICANN, Registries

5.  References

   REFERENCES WILL BE ENTERED HERE

6.  Authors' Address

   Raymond Plzak
   SAIC
   1710 Goodridge Drive
   McLean, Virginia 22102

   +1 703 821 6535
   [email-masked]

7. "Full Copyright Statement".

   "Copyright (C) The Internet Society (date).  All Rights Reserved.

   This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to others,
   and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it or assist in its
   implmentation may be prepared, copied, published and distributed, in whole or
   in part, without restriction of any kind, provided that the above copyright
   notice and this paragraph are included on all such copies and derivative
   works.  However, this document itself may not be modified in any way, such as
   by removing the copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or
   other Internet organizations, except as needed for the purpose of developing
   Internet standards in which case the procedures for copyrights defined in the
   Internet Standards process must be followed, or as required to translate it
   into languages other than English.

    The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be revoked
   by the Internet Society or its successors or assigns.

    This document and the information contained herein is provided on an "AS IS"
   basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK FORCE

USWG                     Expires September 2000                 [Page 4]

INTERNET-DRAFT   FYI Q/A for Experienced Internet Users       March 2000

   DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO
   ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY
   RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A
   PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

USWG                     Expires September 2000                 [Page 5]