Subject: USWG Minutes (fwd)

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:46:46 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks to Ted for taking these minutes....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:45:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Subject: USWG Minutes

Minutes 51st IETF, User Services Working Group
April Marine, Chair
Minutes taken by Ted Hardie
Monday August 6, 2001

Agenda:
Agenda Bashing
General review of recent USV stuff
What is the IETF? (Draft-hoffman-what-is-ietf-05.txt)
FYI 7  working group draft
Charter/Milestones update
Request for addition to agenda with a privacy document
Request for addition to add a draft on security considerations.

Tao of the IETF moved to RFC!  (Yeah!) (Extra Yeah!)  Little other
progress has been made; some uswg members could not make this meeting,
but no indication that they are making progress.

Eric asks whether RUN's closed; closing, but maybe one last revision
to docs.  USV is now one working group, which raises the question of
whether there should be an area.  April indicates that Harald may be
looking at this once other issues are resolved.  Eric suggests that
language tags and charset issues might be moved into USV as an area,
he proposes that April and Harald discuss this.

"What is the IETF" inherited from Poisson; comments raised about the
Security Considerations section being longer than needed.  April will
take the comments back to the document author and then last call the
document.

Ray then discussed FYI 7.  There has been no progress on it, and there
is a need for a document co-author.  Ray will take current document
and post it to the list to stimulate further action.  April will seek
co-author with Ray.

Milestone Update:

Update of FYI one needed to reflect current status of other FYI
documents (it now follows STD 1).  New ID on FYI 1 by September 30,
2001; to IESG by December 1st, 2001.

Ted wondered whether one method of dealing with no longer current FYI
would be an update as a reference to the RFC, with a note that it is
now historic; concurrently, mark the RFCs as historic.

Celia noted that it is a part of larger problem of historic data on
working group issues that disappear when the working group goes away
(as URI).

FYI 7, new I-D by September 30, 2001

Gary, Celia, Brian are working on the Glossary Hauser is now working
on EDI for the Internet.  This is currently a private effort; no I-D
has been submitted to date.

Gary will be polled by April on dates for the Glossary.

Eric then discussed the need for a document on user privacy.  He would
like to produce a document that covers web-related privacy issues
(P3P, javascript, etc.).  Whois-type of data would be out of scope,
but onward forwarding under p3p policies would be discussed.

Woody then discussed his experience of dealing with customer
organization without a security policy: what you are trying to
protect, what the cost of failure is, what the cost of success is, and
then have the analysis of what the benefit/cost ratios would be.  This
document would be an example of a security policy document; he will
need this for his customers, but he believes it would be better if
reviewed by and intended for use by the broader community in similar
situations.

Susan asked if we needed to put this into the Security Area; point
made that this is the step before that step(what needs to be secured)
before (how to secure something).  Security Ads will be consulted, but
no problems seen with the working proceeding in USWG.  Woody will
produce a first draft; abstract by the end of August, first draft by
Salt Lake City.

Various TLD jokes made.