Subject: [Uta] Last Call: <draft-ietf-uta-smtp-tlsrpt-17.txt> (SMTP TLS Reporting) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 09:19:26 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Using TLS in Applications WG (uta)
to consider the following document: - 'SMTP TLS Reporting'
  <draft-ietf-uta-smtp-tlsrpt-17.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-04-02. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   A number of protocols exist for establishing encrypted channels
   between SMTP Mail Transfer Agents, including STARTTLS, DANE TLSA, and
   MTA-STS.  These protocols can fail due to misconfiguration or active
   attack, leading to undelivered messages or delivery over unencrypted
   or unauthenticated channels.  This document describes a reporting
   mechanism and format by which sending systems can share statistics
   and specific information about potential failures with recipient
   domains.  Recipient domains can then use this information to both
   detect potential attackers and diagnose unintentional
   misconfigurations.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-smtp-tlsrpt/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-smtp-tlsrpt/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.