Subject: RE: FEEDBACK REQUESTED -- RE: 3gpp-analysis-04: Transition mechan isms at UEs; 3GPP IPv6 deployment [issue 6] (fwd)

From: Soliman Hesham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 12:57:55 -0400

> - if the UE is dual stack (anyway), then to save one PDP context, you
 > tunnel the other IP version on the established PDP context. example:
 >  + your PDP context is IPv4. you need IPv6: tunnel v6 in v4.

=> Where does the IPv6 address come from? Unless you have 
a v6 PDP context you can't get an IPv6 address.

 >  + your PDP context is IPv6. you need ipv4: tunnel v4 in v6.

=> Same for the IPv4 address. 

Hesham

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 14:12:31 -0400

[ post by non-subscriber.  with the massive amount of spam, it is easy to miss
  and therefore delete posts by non-subscribers.  if you wish to regularly
  post from an address that is not subscribed to this mailing list, send a
  message to <listname>[email-masked] and ask to have the alternate
  address added to the list of addresses from which submissions are
  automatically accepted. ]

> a v6 PDP context you can't get an IPv6 address.

if you use some tunneling technique, then you will get one. Tunnel broker,
as an example, will give the tunnel endpoint (UE) through the TSP session
the ipv6 address to use over the tunnel. It could also send the ipv6 prefix
in case the UE is a router/gateway to a personal network. Other tunnelling
techniques will give the Ipv6 address (6to4 or teredo based on the ipv4
address).

> => Same for the IPv4 address. 

again, as an example, tunnel broker with tsp and dstm will provide the iPv4
address.

Marc.

> Hesham

------------------------------------------
Marc Blanchet
Hexago
tel: +1-418-266-5533x225
------------------------------------------
http://www.freenet6.net: IPv6 connectivity
------------------------------------------

---

From: Fred Templin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 12:56:11 -0700

>techniques will give the Ipv6 address (6to4 or teredo based on the ipv4

You should mention also isatap, in which the UE automatically discovers
the address of the isatap router from which it may solicit IPv6 RAs. The
UE can configure an IPv6 address via stateless autoconfiguration using a
prefix advertised from the isatap router, or via stateful autoconfiguration
using DHCPv6 (by treating the isatap router also as a DHCPv6 server/relay).
It can also get an IPv6 prefix using DHCPv6 prefix delegation, i.e., in case
the UE is a router/gateway. Authentication is assumed already performed
by the IPv4 PDP context establishment.

Fred
[email-masked]