Subject: 3gpp-analysis-05: Automatic tunneling inside 3GPP operator's network

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:13:24 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

This is the previously-opened "Automatic tunneling inside 3GPP operator's 
network" case again.

substantial
-----------

The issues I'm still not very confortable with:

[note: sending the second one first, because the first requires some 
editing yet..]

2) tunneling inside the 3GPP operator's network, in particular, the last two
paragraphs of section 3.2.1:

    Even a dynamic tunneling mechanism or an IGP/EGP routing protocol
    based tunneling mechanism can be considered if other methods are
    not suitable.

    Connection redundancy should also be noted as an important
    requirement in 3GPP networks. Static tunnels on their own don't
    provide a routing recovery solution for all scenarios where an IPv6
    route goes down. However, they may provide an adequate solution
    depending on the design of the network and in presence of other
    router redundancy mechanisms. On the other hand, IGP/EGP based
    mechanisms can provide redundancy.

==> at least, remove "IGP/EGP" (it's enough to say a routing protocol), and
rewrite the last paragraph like:

    Connection redundancy should also be noted as an important
    requirement in 3GPP networks. Static tunnels on their own don't
    provide a routing recovery solution for all scenarios where an IPv6
    route goes down. However, they may provide an adequate solution
    depending on the design of the network and in presence of other
    router redundancy mechanisms, such as routing protocols run over IPv6 
    links.

.. because "router redundancy mechanisms" is too vague, and IGP/EGP based
mechanisms are routing protocols themselves and already included in that 
context.

I'm not sure if these two edits would fix all my concerns with the 
document, but with these two, it would be much better already.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:02:19 +0300

Hi!

I don't personally have big problems with that suggested text. If the other people
on the list do not object the text change, we could move forward with this issue.

Cheers,
	 -Juha-

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Pekka Savola [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 18 September, 2003 12:13
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 3gpp-analysis-05: Automatic tunneling inside 3GPP operator's
network

Hi,

substantial
-----------

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:17:33 +0300

Hi, Karim (and Pekka)!

Just asking your final comments and preferences considering these two points raised up by Karim. Karim, can you make text suggestion(s) for 3.2.1, if you feel those are needed!?

(I'm currently editing revision -06, and I hope I can publish it on Thursday/Friday this week).

Cheers,
	-Juha-

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Pekka Savola [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 22 September, 2003 18:06
To: Karim El-Malki (HF/EAB)
Cc: Wiljakka Juha (NMP/Tampere); [email-masked]
Subject: RE: 3gpp-analysis-05: Automatic tunneling inside 3GPP
operator's network

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Karim El-Malki (HF/EAB) wrote:
> 1) Why change "IGP/EGP" to "routing protocols"?
>    It's clear enough with IGP/EGP

Note it was "IGP/EGP routing protocols" AFAIR.

Routing protocols are all either IGP or EGP.  There is no need to spell 
out the difference.

> 2) Proposed rewrite of second parag.
>    "Routing protocols over IPv6 links"
>    We've already discussed this thoroughly
>    and there was no agreement that this
>    would be an appropriate choice to
>    solve the redundancy problem. 

One could also characterize this that there was no agreement that this is 
needed for redundancy.

> This would
>    mean recommending that an operator runs
>    an IPv4 routing protocol and in addition
>    an IPv6 routing protocol inside each tunnel.

Which is operationally Just Fine! :-)

>  > From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
>  > Sent: den 22 september 2003 14:02
>  > To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
>  > Subject: RE: 3gpp-analysis-05: Automatic tunneling inside 3GPP
>  > operator's network
>  > 
>  > 
>  > 
>  >  Hi!
>  >