Subject: Awareness of breaking RFC3056 with 6to4 more specifics

From: "Jeroen Massar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:57:06 +0200

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hi,

Are the ones in the To line aware that you are breaking RFC3056
by announcing 6to4 more specifics?

RFC3056 Section 5.2 point 3:
8<------------
   6to4 prefixes more specific than 2002::/16 must not be propagated in
   native IPv6 routing, to prevent pollution of the IPv6 routing table
   by elements of the IPv4 routing table.  Therefore, a 6to4 site which
   also has a native IPv6 connection MUST NOT advertise its 2002::/48
   routing prefix on that connection, and all native IPv6 network
   operators MUST filter out and discard any 2002:: routing prefix
   advertisements longer than /16.
- ------------>8

Currently you are announcing, to the rest of the world:
http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/lg/?find=2002::/16

2002:8c6d:106::/48	8447 1853 786 5623 6939 11537 9264
2002:8c6d:106::/48	12779 3549 6939 11537 9264
2002:8c6d:106::/48	6939 11537 9264
2002:c058:6301::/48	8447 1853 786
2002:c0e7:d405::/48	8447 1853 6680 1103 11537 7570
2002:c0e7:d405::/48	1103 11537 7570
2002:c0e7:d405::/48	12779 3549 6939 11537 7570
2002:c0e7:d405::/48	6939 11537 7570
2002:c8a2::/33		8447 1853 6680 1103 11537 6939 6939 15180
2002:c8a2::/33		12337 12337 12337 6939 6939 15180
2002:c8a2::/33		1103 11537 6939 6939 15180
2002:c8a2::/33		12779 3549 6939 6939 15180
2002:c8a2::/33		6939 6939 15180
2002:c8c6:4000::/34	8447 1853 6680 1103 11537 6939 6939 15180
2002:c8c6:4000::/34	12337 12337 12337 6939 6939 15180
2002:c8c6:4000::/34	1103 11537 6939 6939 15180
2002:c8c6:4000::/34	12779 3549 6939 6939 15180
2002:c8c6:4000::/34	6939 6939 15180
2002:c8ca:7000::/36	8447 1853 6680 1103 11537 6939 6939 15180
2002:c8ca:7000::/36	1103 11537 6939 6939 15180
2002:c8ca:7000::/36	12779 3549 6939 6939 15180
2002:c8ca:7000::/36	6939 6939 15180

Summing them up:

2002:8c6d:106::/48	140.109.1.6/32	AS9264
2002:c058:6301::/48	192.88.99.1/32	AS786
2002:c0e7:d405::/48	192.231.212.5/32	AS7570
2002:c8a2::/33		200.162.0.0/17	AS15180
2002:c8c6:4000::/34	200.198.64.0/18	AS15180
2002:c8ca:7000::/36	200.202.112.0/20	AS15180

NOTEZ BIEN:
% Not assigned. Free in Brazilian block: 200.198.64.0/18

Is LACNIC the RIR or is NIC.BR the one? Seeing that a
complete IPv4 /9 has been carved up to them and LACNIC
doesn't handle anything else?

192.88.99.1/32 is *THE* anycast address, it is *NOT* routable....
And you don't own it either, please read RFC3068 and stop that
foolish announcement. In whois.ripe.net this network is documented:

route:        192.88.99.0/24
descr:        RFC3068-ECIX
origin:       AS9033
mnt-by:       ECIX-MNT
mnt-routes:   RFC3068-MNT
changed:      [email-masked] 20030711
source:       RIPE
remarks:      See RFC 3068
remarks:      "An Anycast Prefix for 6to4 Relay Routers"
remarks:      Christian Huitema
remarks:      June 2001

Feel free to notify your "upstreams" that they should be
filtering anything more specific in 2002::/16 and should
probably not be announcing cross-RIR prefixes unaggregated.

Please  read:
IPv6 Filter Recommendations by Gert Döring
 http://www.space.net/~gert/RIPE/ipv6-filters.html
Minimal IPv6 Peering by Robert Kießling 
 http://ip6.de.easynet.net/ipv6-minimum-peering.txt

Greets,
 Jeroen

---

From: "Jeroen Massar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:29:18 +0200

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Antonio Querubin [mailto:[email-masked]] wrote:

[cut off long list of people, except ml's]

> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> 
> Whoa there!  Just because a block is anycast doesn't mean it's NOT
> routable.  It just means there may be multiple destinations 
> and multiple routes to those destinations.  Otherwise what use is it?

It's for making 2002::/16 reachable, not for making the IPv4 version
reachable over IPv6 ;)

> The RFC has specific information on restrictions for announcement if you 
> do want to provide the service to those outside your AS.

If you where announcing 192.88.99.1/32 you would be right, though
announcing a /32 is really dubieus :)
They _where_ (it got fixed directly) announcing 2002:c058:6301::/48
which really doesn't make any sense. Or are you implying that anyone
can just announce a block out of 192.88.99.0/24 and use it for 6to4?

Announcements of 192.88.99.0/24 should also be backed up
by the relevant entry in the RIPE (or ARIN/LACNIC/APNIC) databases.

Greets,
 Jeroen

---

From: Gert Doering <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 00:40:12 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 10:15:06AM -1000, Antonio Querubin wrote:
> routable.  

Please the section of the RFC about "announcing more specifics of
2002::/16".

The anycast IP address is IPv4 and MUST NOT be visible as 6to4 prefix
(and besides that it doesn't make any sense).

Of course it's appreciated to announce it *in the IPv4 BGP table*.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
-- 
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  56833  (55575)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: [email-masked]
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299