Subject: [OT] Spam

From: Eric Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:50:27 -0400

Trying to figure out a better way to combat spam.  It  seems to be getting
worse by the hour even with all the "black lists" and filters.  Does IPv6
offer an iron-clad solution?

If one set up a mail server that accepts incoming connections only from
other IPv6 addresses using a p2p session, would this completely eliminate
the issue of forged mail headers (presuming, of course, the other IPv6 mail
server wasn't an 'open relay')?

Can an MTA discern which IP to use from the MX record in DNS?

Any other suggestions?  Tnx.  EM.

---

From: "Jeroen Massar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:08:04 +0200

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Eric Moore wrote:

> Trying to figure out a better way to combat spam.  It  seems 
> to be getting worse by the hour even with all the "black lists" and 
> filters.  Does IPv6 offer an iron-clad solution?

There is no difference in IPv6 versus IPv4 in that field.
If you want to 'solve' "spam" one should not be using SMTP
or be using a SMTP extension which can identify senders.

IPSEC + IPv6 could avoid spoofing at least though.

> If one set up a mail server that accepts incoming connections 
> only from other IPv6 addresses using a p2p session, would this 
> completely eliminate the issue of forged mail headers (presuming, of course, the 
> other IPv6 mail server wasn't an 'open relay')?

Indeed you have to trust the other side, one could employ
SMTP + TLS and require that the certificate matches.

> Any other suggestions?  Tnx.  EM.

As you marked it already OT, ask these questions in:
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/wg/anti-spam/
http://www.irtf.org/charters/asrg.html

Greets,
 Jeroen