Subject: RE: IETF 58 v6ops meeting baker-ipv6-renumbering slides

From: "Robson Oliveira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:53:31 -0200

A sniffer like Ethereal or any other syslog tools of the own device (Servers
and Routers) could grant a good reply report regarding the old address. If
there are no reply to the old address, you may can turn off the link.

-robson
-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Baker [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 6:05 PM
To: Robson Oliveira
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: IETF 58 v6ops meeting baker-ipv6-renumbering slides

At 01:56 PM 11/10/2003, Robson Oliveira wrote:
>I would suggest the recommendation add "View the syslog or debug before
link
>removal, requests still be doing to this link. Some TOOLS can help you".

Thanks. Specifically what tools would you recommend?

I'm personally all in favor of tools. I'd like to be a little more specific
than that, though.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:26:34 -0600

>there are no reply to the old address, you may can turn off the link.

OK. I mentioned traffic capture systems; I think you're additionally saying 
"ping scan the network and see what replies".

That certainly would verify that the old prefix has been removed. It seems 
to me, though, that this really isn't the question. The question is whether 
there are any sessions remaining addressing applications via the old prefix 
- if someone is still using it, you don't want to remove it yet, and after 
they have all stopped, it doesn't really matter whether it is there or not. 
Hence, it seems to me that once the last session using an address goes 
quiescent, the address can be removed from the system. When there is no 
longer any traffic using the prefix, you can remove the prefix from the 
router serving the prefix.

Maybe I'm missing your point?