Subject: RE: 3gpp-analysis-07: (semi-)editorial issues

From: "Karim El-Malki (HF/EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:36:29 +0100

> > You could activate pdp contexts in advance or you may do
 > > that based on app.s and in special cases (above) peer
 > > addresses.  The "in advance" option is attractive but there
 > > are cases where it doesn't work well: if the application needs
 > > a pdp context with certain QoS and APN (e.g. corporate)
 > > characteristics that is not currently active. So I am not
 > > convinced that we should be making the above point.
 > 
 > I'm not sure how common those cases are. I'd assume they are not too 
 > common.  Therefore, it would seem to clarify better how the 
 > PDP contexts 
 > are typically used.
 > 
 > Could you care to try to suggest a different reword to clarify the 
 > different considerations with PDP context activation?

I would just tag a sentence to the end of the parag you suggested:

    If the 3GPP network supports both IPv4 and IPv6 PDP contexts, the UE may
    activate the appropriate PDP context depending on the type of
    application it has started; it may also make sense to open both PDP
    contexts in advance, before they are used, because the activation of
    a context may take a relatively long time. If both PDP Contexts are
    not opened in advance then it may be necessary for an application
    to trigger the creation of a new PDP Context when it determines
    that a communication to an IPv6 peer is required and an IPv6 PDP
    Context is not available.

/Karim

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:50:03 +0200 (EET)

>     Context is not available.

Ok.  The last part  is a bit long.  I tried to summarize it a bit and make 
it more generic.  How about:

    If the 3GPP network supports both IPv4 and IPv6 PDP contexts, the UE may
    activate the appropriate PDP context depending on the type of
    application it has started; it may also make sense to open both PDP
    contexts in advance, before they are used, because the activation of
    a context may take a relatively long time.  However, if 
    the appropriate PDP context has not been activated before trying to 
    communicate with a peer, the application may trigger the activation of 
    the required PDP context type.

OK or suggest replacement?

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings