Subject: RE: manual config of UE tunnel [RE: 3gpp-analysis: Recommendation on tunneling in the UE]

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:44:31 -0000

Pekka,

<snip>

> the IGP if it moves.  Manual one-time config (need to be 
> redone only if you switch your home
> operator) is sufficient, as well as doing it with an SMS [as 
> one-time config], looking it up from the DNS, or something else.

'Manual one-time config' is still config. Show me a zero-config
solution. And people change their home operator all the time. These are
very real concerns that the operations community have and should be
listened to.
 
Mat

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:57:13 +0200 (EET)

> very real concerns that the operations community have and should be

Right; if this is believed to be concern, there are basically three
ways to avoid problems; each require some code, even though not
necessarily protocols.  Note that this is pretty much identical to how
ISATAP is kickstarted with one simplification:

- DNS lookup for something like 'tunnel-service"; if DNS search order 
is set, this is results in an A record.
- a DHCPv4 option.
- anycast-routed address, whether from private IPv4 address space, or 
from global address space (e.g. a /29 which is known to be unrouted in 
the DFZ).

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings