Subject: v6onbydefault: Missing answers for DNS AAAA queries

From: Roland Bless <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:08:36 +0100

Hi,

we are using dual-stacked v6/v4 hosts now since several years in our
institute. One really annoying behavior are looong DNS timeouts when the
resolver lib asks for AAAA records, but the queried server does not
respond (not even sends back an error) and simply drops the query. Some
user even wanted to turn off v6(!) because he found it so annoying to wait
for his favorite news site. Mainly, a provider of commercials who embeds
his advertisements into news web sites causes the problem. Requests to
the hostmaster to correct this behavior were not answered so far.

Any suggestions how to cope with these problems? Is it covered in the 6onbydefault
draft? Is it worthwhile to be considered there?

Regards,
 Roland

P.S.: until recently the resolver lib allowed to turn off AAAA queries
by replacing the dns6 entry in the nsswitch.conf with a dns entry.

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:17:11 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

Thanks for reminding about this issue.

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Roland Bless wrote:
> Any suggestions how to cope with these problems? Is it covered in the
> 6onbydefault draft? Is it worthwhile to be considered there?

Yes, it is known.  Yes, it should probably be at least referrred to in
this document.  Yes, it should be worked around where possible (see the
thread about AI_ADDRCONFIG), and fixed where appropriate.

See draft-morishita-dnsop-misbehavior-against-aaaa-00.txt for more.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings