Subject: RE: automatic tunneling and v6 interoperation

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:14:08 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Christian Huitema wrote:
> > Who has the incentive of deploying Teredo servers then?  
> 
> The answer so far is: 
> 
> 1) providers of application software and services that rely on IPv6
> connectivity and are currently providing application relays to make
> their apps work.

Have you analyzed the increases in connection setup delay due to the
packet exchanges (whether through bubbles, servers or relays).  I see a
potential problem here if deployed by apps (going across the globe..),
although probably not a major one.

> 2) transit providers who actually benefit from any increase in the
> general amount of traffic.

By the same analogue, the transit provides would actually benefit from 
deploying 6to4 relays.  They haven't.  Maybe they will.  But I doubt this 
is enough of an incentive, especially as the packets exchanged are just 
tiny ICMP messages, amounting to very little increase in the traffic, in 
the bit/s terms.

> Yes, that may result in many packets, but no more packets than the
> initial bubbles between two Teredo clients. These are small packets and
> the amount of traffic ends up being manageable. In typical cases, the
> cost per user is of the order of pennies per year. Dealing with NAT in
> applications actually costs much more, e.g. in phone calls to the
> support line.

The small packets are probably not a problem, bandwidth-wise.  The latency 
may be a problem, as well has having no such service to begin with.
 
-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings