Subject: IPv6 Governmental requirements (was focussing energies)

From: "EricLKlein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:46:39 +0200

I am responding on list for the benefit of anyone else who might be
interested here are some useful state of IPv6 documents:

http://www.ipv6tf-sc.org/html/public/ipv6tf-sc_pu_d3_4v1_3.pdf: (look at
section 6 for a country by country review)

IPv6 Moving towards Realistic World:
http://www.chinaipv6council.com/news_en.jsp?id=062F9C2961E30D2516B7340AA13BCA39DEB1302DE63AB47B1D2DE637C21A5C7B

From the European e-Europe 2005:
(http://europa.eu.int/information_society/eeurope/2005/all_about/action_plan
/index_en.htm)
The Barcelona European Council called on the Commission to draw up an
eEurope action plan focussing on "the widespread availability and use of
broadband networks throughout the Union by 2005 and the development of
Internet protocol IPv6 .. and the security of networks and information,
eGovernment, eLearning, eHealth and eBusiness"

IPv6 allocation Percentage in Asia Pacific  (from
http://www.ipv6.org.tw/eng/index_E.shtml0

Japan:63(51%)

Korea:17(14%)

Taiwan:13(11%)

Australlia:5(4%)

Singapore:5(4%)

Taiwan's plans that between 2006 and 2007 to Complete IPv6 deployment in
full scale, such that any network equipment and application can easily
connect to the Internet with IPv6. and to Replace IPv4 with IPv6, and make
IPv6 the popular Internet Protocol
(http://www.ipv6.org.tw/eng/Milestone.htm)

I will keep looking for more

Eric

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Pekka Savola" <[email-masked]>
To: "EricLKlein" <[email-masked]>
Sent: 15 March, 2004 9:11 PM
Subject: Re: focussing energies

> off-list
>
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, EricLKlein wrote:
> > From: "Alain Durand" <[email-masked]>
> > >
> > > a) the best model is to get ISPs to deploy IPv6 to their customer. No
> > > transition mechanism is better
> > > than anything else. Most ISPs won't do it unless there is strong
> > > motivation:
> > > - political mandate to do so
> > > - political incentive (like tax break)
> > > - customer asking for it
> > > The first two are outside the realm of IETF. The last one will only be
> > > driven by the new applications
> > > requiring/working better with IPv6. Nothing here that this wg can do
> > > about.
> > >
> > Just keep in mind that some governments have mandated that all services
be
> > transitioned to IPv6 by fixed dates (off the top of my head I know that
> > Japan and the EU have mandated dates) but I am not sure what the
penalties
> > are for failing to meet these mandates.
>
> Do you have pointers about the latter?  EU has not made any of such
> mandates -- just sent notes to the local governments stating like
> "prepare for v6, thanks".
>
> Any reference would be useful -- I might have missed something.
>
> -- 
> Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
> Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
> Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings
>