Subject: RE: v6 deployment in general [Re: tunnel broker deployment [RE: Tunneling scenarios and mechanisms evaluation]]

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:17:55 -0800

> > The problem is worse with transition mechanisms, especially the ones
> > which traverse NATs, but the situation may improve as soon as we can
> > get rid of them.  In any case, such mechanisms can provide a stable
> > as long as they can keep the NAT/IP mappings stable -- which is, for
a
> > properly designed application, maybe sufficient.
> 
> I guess I don't understand what "such mechanisms" refer to above.
> I don't know if mechanisms like Teredo can provide a stable IPv6
address
> when the nat mappings change, but doing TB/UDP for nat traversal
should be
> able to provide stable IP addresses/prefixes in this case.

In practice the NAT mappings do not change and the Teredo address
remains reasonably stable.

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:06:35 -0800

> remains reasonably stable.

unless the global IPv4 address of the NAT box is changed every 24 hours 
by the ISP...

	- Alain.