Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-liumin-v6ops-silkroad-02.txt

From: "Liu Min" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:59:31 +0800

Hi:
There is a new version of the draft silkroad.

Compared with the previous version, there are the main changes:

1.  Change the model of Silkroad. SN (silkroad navigator) will not receive
SC (silkroad client)'s request by http, and will not assign SAR (silkroad
access router) for SC. There will be no direct interaction between SC and
SN.

2.  The authentication and coherence for SARs and SNs in one ISP will follow
the specific ISP's security and route consideration and existing mechanisms.
There will be no automatic synchronization and interaction between SARs and
SNs belonging to different ISPs, unless there are prior agreements.
Generally, the packet forwarding between SARs belonging to different ISPs
will follow IPv6 rules and no route optimization could be made.  

3.  Explicitly indicate that SN is recommended for ISP whose SARs are
relatively few. However, it is mandatory for ISP who has many SARs and SCs.
There may be hierarchical SNs for one ISP. 

4.  Explicitly indicate that Silkroad is one mechanism to be used by the ISP
to provide a managed tunnel work through NATs to its customers.

5.  Remove the component in the protocol for requesting an arbitrary length.
The default prefix length will be a /64. Whether providing an arbitrary
length prefix will be up to the specific ISP's policy and business process.
The ISP may require prior agreement for special requirements.

6.  Remove Control Option type to determine the transmission method between
SARs and leave the choice to ISP.

7.  Change the transmission process between SC and regular node in 4.2.4 and
4.2.5 change all the figures in this draft. 

8.  Add the consideration of mobility support in 7.3.

9.  Move the comparison with Teredo to Appendix A and add the comparison
with tunnel broker solutions.

10. Indicate that route optimization is optional and ISPs could decide
whether to support route optimization for their Silkroad clients. Generally,
route optimization will only be done between SCs belonging to the same ISP,
unless there are prior agreements between different ISPs.
   
Any comments will be appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Liu Min
 
Institute of Computing Technology
Chinese Academy of Sciences
Tel: (86-10) 6256 5533-9240 
E-mail: [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 5:13 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-liumin-v6ops-silkroad-02.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Tunneling IPv6 with private IPv4 addresses 
                          behind NAT devices
	Author(s)	: L. Min, et al.
	Filename	: draft-liumin-v6ops-silkroad-02.txt
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 2004-11-16
	
The growth of IPv6 networks started mainly using the transport facilities
offered by the current Internet. This led to the development of several
techniques to manage IPv6 over IPv4 tunnels. However, classic tunneling
methods do not work when the IPv6 candidate node is isolated behind a
Network Address Translator (NAT)   device. We propose here a service, called
Silkroad, to enable nodes located behind one or several IPv4 NATs to obtain
IPv6 connectivity. It can provide IPv6 connectivity through all existing NAT
types and does not require any update of them. In addition, Silkroad could
provide managed IPv6 prefixes with path optimized routing directly between
clients.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-liumin-v6ops-silkroad-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the
message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-liumin-v6ops-silkroad-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-liumin-v6ops-silkroad-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-liumin-v6ops-silkroad-02.txt