Subject: Renumbering 'think about' draft

From: Mark Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:47:04 +0000

Due to the (healthy) discussion yesterday, my presentation suffered
the guillotine. What I would like to do here is pretty much the same
as the presentation would have done, that is to post a gentle 'nudge'
that the draft exists: "Things to think about when Renumbering an IPv6
network" [1]

I had some slides prepared for the meeting that are posted online [2].

The draft is interim output from on-going activity with partners from
the 6NET project, soliciting input from this community.

It isn't meant to be a complete documentation of issues regarding
network renumbering with IPv6. Rather, it is a scoping text that
serves to assist reserachers at Southampton and WWU Muenster define
experiments to analyse different elements of renumbering.

One point of note is that we are not explicitly trying to validate or
build on the work of Baker, Droms and Lear directly, although as we
gain operational experience using the procedure in
draft-ietf-v6ops-renumbering-procedure, we will document our findings
and feed-through to that work.

In the draft, we begin to detail "triggers", typical actions that
result in the need for a renumbering event, and thus define the
scenarios for renumbering; state some "requirements" - potential
specific goals or requirements for sites or users undergoing an IPv6
renumber event;  spot "ipv6 enablers", features of IPv6 or IP-related
technologies not previously (or widely) available for IPv4, that
assist in renumbering; "factors" affecting renumbering tools (or
further protocols) and include a "call to arms" that is actually an
overview of the key questions driving our work.

It's a personal draft at this stage, not because we don't "have a
home" but because of the  timing of when the work was started. It
isn't entirely clear where this work belongs in light of yesterday's
disucssion - but that's something we will look at in the coming weeks

We would be - as I'm sure the authors of the other draft would also -
be very happy to hear from anyone that has undertaken a significant
renumbering exercise, whether using
draft-ietf-v6ops-renumbering-procedure not.

Our intent is to submit a -01 revision for IETF62 where Tim or I would
like to demonstrate progress on the renumbering challenges.

Mark/

[1]http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chown-v6ops-renumber-thinkabout-00.txt

[2]http://ego.6pack.org/i-d/ietf61-v6ops-mkt.pdf

--
Mark Thompson, Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, UK

::1/128 - no place like home; ::/0 - no place at all