Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-v6ops-assisted-tunneling-requirements-0 1.txt

From: "Karen E. Nielsen (AH/LMD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:11:28 +0100

One comment:

The following paragraph of Section 1 should be made clearer,
I think.

"Contrary to automatic tunneling mechanism where the IPv4 address is
   embedded inside the IPv6 address, no special format are imposed on
   the IPv6 address used in assisted tunneling.  Prefix delegation is
   also possible.  As the addressing space used during the transition to
   native remains the same, the customer routing, filtering, accounting
   stay the same, and there is no need to maintain any kind of relay."

If the intended meaning is to say that the IPv6 addresses used during transition
must be usable also when the users has moved to native, this should be made clearer
here as well as in Section 4.1. 

Again if the above is the intended meaning, it is valid of course to note that 
that this preclude mechanisms which rely on special encoding of the underlying
Ipv4 in the Ipv6 addresses.

BR, Karen

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 10:11 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: I-D
> ACTION:draft-ietf-v6ops-assisted-tunneling-requirements-01.txt
> 
> 
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line 
> Internet-Drafts directories.
> This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working 
> Group of the IETF.
> 
> 	Title		: Goals for Registered Assisted Tunneling
> 	Author(s)	: F. Parent, et al.
> 	Filename	: 
> draft-ietf-v6ops-assisted-tunneling-requirements-01.txt
> 	Pages		: 14
> 	Date		: 2004-10-22
> 	
> This document defines requirements for a tunnel set-up protocol that
>    could be used by an ISP to jumpstart its IPv6 offering to its
>    customers by providing them IPv6 connectivity through tunneling.
> 
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-assisted-
tunneling-requirements-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-v6ops-assisted-tunneling-requirements-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-assisted-tunneling-requirements-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Florent Parent <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 09:52:52 -0500

-- On Monday, November 01, 2004 11:11:28 +0100, Karen E. Nielsen (AH/LMD) 
wrote:

> If the intended meaning is to say that the IPv6 addresses used during
> transition must be usable also when the users has moved to native, this
> should be made clearer here as well as in Section 4.1.

What is intended here and in section 4.1 is to say that an ISP can use its 
own IPv6 address space from its initial deployment using this transition 
mechanism, up to native deployment (naturally). Section 4.1 refers to 
section 5.1 in [I-D.ietf-v6ops-isp-scenarios-analysis], where text can be 
found saying that it is preferable to use the ISP address space.

Would adding something like the following to the last sentence make this 
clearer?
"An ISP can use its own IPv6 address space using this transition mechanism. 
As the address space used during ..."

>
> Again if the above is the intended meaning, it is valid of course to note
> that  that this preclude mechanisms which rely on special encoding of the
> underlying Ipv4 in the Ipv6 addresses.

The following paragraph in the draft says: "assisted tunneling protocol 
negotiate the tunnel parameters and does not depend on having the IPv4 
address inside the IPv6 address, for example". The tunnel parameters are 
exchanged between the server and client. I don't rerally see and advantage 
in using special IPv6 address encoding if you don't have to. Unless I'm 
missing your point?

Thanks the feedback Karen.

Florent