Subject: proposed draft charter

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:19:42 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

(co-chair hat on)

After discussion with our AD, we've added a paragraph to the chartr, 
underlying the fact that there must be support for the work, and it 
must be completed in a reasonable time:

  There must be a continuous expression of interest for the WG to work
  on a particular work item.  If there is no longer sufficient interest
  in the WG in a work item, the item may be removed from the list of WG
  items.

The whole proposed charter is below.

(hat off)

============
Description of Working Group:

The global deployment of IPv6 is underway, creating an IPv4/IPv6
Internet consisting of IPv4-only, IPv6-only and IPv4/IPv6 networks and
nodes.  This deployment must be properly handled to avoid the division
of the Internet into separate IPv4 and IPv6 networks while ensuring
addressing and connectivity for all IPv4 and IPv6 nodes.

The IPv6 Operations Working Group (v6ops) develops guidelines for the
operation of a shared IPv4/IPv6 Internet and provides operational
guidance on how to deploy IPv6 into existing IPv4-only networks,
as well as into new network installations.

The main focus of the v6ops WG is to look at the immediate
deployment issues; more advanced stages of deployment and transition
are a lower priority.

The goals of the v6ops working group are:

1. Solicit input from network operators and users to identify
   operational issues with the IPv4/IPv6 Internet, and
   determine solutions or workarounds to those issues.  These issues
   will be documented in Informational or BCP RFCs, or in
   Internet-Drafts.

   This work should primarily be conducted by those areas and WGs
   which are responsible and best fit to analyze these problems, but
   v6ops may also cooperate in focusing such work.

2. Publish Informational or BCP RFCs that identify potential security
   risks in the operation of shared IPv4/IPv6 networks, and document
   operational practices to eliminate or mitigate those risks.

   This work will be done in cooperation with the Security area and
   other relevant areas or working groups.

3. As a particular instance of (1) and (2), provide feedback to
   the IPv6 WG regarding portions of the IPv6 specifications that
   cause, or are likely to cause, operational or security concerns,
   and work with the IPv6 WG to resolve those concerns.  This feedback
   will be published in Internet-Drafts or RFCs.

4. Publish Informational or BCP RFCs that identify and analyze solutions
   for deploying IPv6 within common network environments, such as
   ISP Networks, Enterprise Networks, Unmanaged Networks (Home/Small
   Office), and Cellular Networks.

   These documents should serve as useful guides to network
   operators and users on possible ways how to deploy IPv6 within their
   existing IPv4 networks, as well as in new network installations.

   These documents should not be normative guides for IPv6 deployment,
   and the primary intent is not capture the needs for new solutions,
   but rather describe which approaches work and which do not.

IPv6 operational and deployment issues with specific protocols or
technologies (such as Applications, Transport Protocols, Routing
Protocols, DNS or Sub-IP Protocols) are the primary responsibility of
the groups or areas responsible for those protocols or technologies.
However, the v6ops WG may provide input to those areas/groups, as
needed, and cooperate with those areas/groups in reviewing solutions
to IPv6 operational and deployment problems.

Future work items within this scope will be adopted by the WG only if
there is a substantial expression of interest from the community and
if the work clearly does not fit elsewhere in the IETF.

There must be a continuous expression of interest for the WG to work
on a particular work item.  If there is no longer sufficient interest
in the WG in a work item, the item may be removed from the list of WG
items.

Specifying any protocols or transition mechanisms is out of scope of
the WG.

Goals and Milestones:

  Done    Adopt IPv6 deployment using VLANs to IESG for Info
  Done    Adopt ISP IPv6 Deployment Scenarios in Broadband Access Networks as WG item
  Mar 05	 Adopt document describing how to use IPsec with draft-ietf-v6ops-mech-v2 as WG item
  Mar 05  Adopt IPv6 Security Overview as WG item
  Mar 05  Adopt IPv6 Network Architecture Protection as WG item
  Apr 05  Submit document describing issues with NAT-PT to IESG for Info
  Apr 05  Submit IPv6 deployment using VLANs to IESG for Info
  Apr 05  Ensure draft-ietf-v6ops-v6onbydefault keeps going forward for RFC publication
  May 05  Submit document on IPsec w/ draft-ietf-v6ops-mech-v2 to IESG for Info
  Jun 05  Submit Enterprise Deployment Analysis to IESG for Info
  Jun 05  Submit IPv6 Network Architecture Protection to IESG for Info
  Jul 05  Submit IPv6 Security Overview to IESG for Info
  Jul 05  Submit ISP IPv6 Deployment Scenarios in Broadband Access Networks to IESG for Info