Subject: Fwd: Appeal of decision to standardize "Mapping Between the Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) and Internet Mail"

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:42:46 -0700

FYI -

This is why it is necessary for us all to read and comment on 
documents. Without making a judgment on whether a screw-up occurred in 
the case John is concerned about, it is possible to have things get 
very screwed up if the WG participants each assume that someone else 
will do the indicated work.

We have three last calls before V6OPS right now. Please read and 
comment on the drafts, if only to say "I'm in favor".

Begin forwarded message:

> From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
> Date: June 10, 2005 11:49:17 AM PDT
> To: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Subject: Appeal of decision to standardize "Mapping Between the 
> Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) and Internet Mail"
>
> Brian,
>
> This is a formal appeal addressed to you as IETF Chair and, if
> necessary and appropriate, to the IESG, over the recent approval
> of draft-ietf-lemonade-mms-mapping-04.txt, "Mapping Between the
> Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) and Internet Mail" as a
> proposed standard.  The appeal is self-contained and
> self-explanatory and proposes both specific and general remedies
> to the problems it identifies.  It raises questions, not only of
> technical content, but of the procedures used to review
> documents within WGs as well as between WGs and other areas of
> expertise and the mechanisms used to determine adequacy of IETF
> consensus.
>
> The appeal necessarily takes no position on whether the problems
> demonstrated by this particular document and its approval are
> limited to it as an exceptional and deviant case or whether they
> have more general implications, but perhaps that is a topic to
> which the community should give some consideration in parallel
> with your, and the IESG's, evaluation of the specific issues
> raised.
>
> regards,
>     john
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf