Subject: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:54:52 -0400

FYI, at this week's ARIN meeting, there was agreement to move forward
with a (slightly modified) version of
http://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2005_1.html, "Policy Proposal
2005-1: Provider-independent IPv6 Assignments for End Sites".

Process wise, I believe there will be an updated proposal and formal
last call. But there was clear support in the meeting to move forward
on this policy.

This is a significant step, as no PI addresses had previously been
available for end sites in IPv6.

Thomas

---

From: "Gunter Van de Velde (gvandeve)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:58:39 +0200

What would be the prefix allocation per organization?
(Me being in Europe and not attending ARIN sessions)

Has there been study on the # of organizations going for this
and if the impact will be more significant then more's law
on technology enhancement?

G/

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:14:54 -0400

> What would be the prefix allocation per organization?

/48, though can be larger in some cases. Watch for the revised
proposal that gets last called for details.

> (Me being in Europe and not attending ARIN sessions)

Note: none of the other RIRs have such a policy in place today,
though I wouldn't be surprised if they now followup with proposals of
their own (though someone has to do it). 

> on technology enhancement?

Mostly just hand waving, with a lot of "IPv4 hasn't melted today,"
"looking at the impact of the current IPv4 policies, the number of PI
assignments is only on the 100s per year", and "we can update the
policy if things get problematical".

Thomas

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:28:20 +0200

Hi Thomas, all,

During my fly-back from Montreal, I've worked in a proposal and I'm talking
to folks in each RIR/region, with the idea to submit it to all them as a
kind of (if possible), global policy.

The idea is based on the comments that I did at the mic during the ARIN
meeting.

I will try to get this submitted next Monday/Tuesday and get ready for a
formal presentation during the next RIPE meeting at Istanbul (following
week).

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
> Responder a: <[email-masked]>
> Fecha: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:14:54 -0400
> Para: "Gunter Van de Velde (gvandeve)" <[email-masked]>
> CC: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Asunto: Re: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN
> 

**********************************************
The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit
Slides available at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.