Subject: RE: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN

From: "Durand, Alain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:02:17 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Craig Huegen (chuegen) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> > B) any address reclaim process might be lenghty and costly
> 
> Maybe I'm being overly simplistic, but the policy can set a 
> recovery timeframe in its allocation of PI space to end users 
> and the market forces can drive the recovery based on the 
> impact to the infrastructure.
> If only a few hundred prefixes are handed out, it might not 
> be enough of a problem to force recovery.

One could argue that if we are only talking about a few hundred
prefixes,
Why do we care reclaiming them?

   - Alain.

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:41:10 +0200

> Why do we care reclaiming them?

If the number of prefixes becomes large enough to be problematic,  
reclaiming those to solve these problems isn't going to work. For one  
thing, it's likely that such problems won't be experienced to the  
same degree by different people: people with a few large routers (and  
deep pockets) will be in a much better position than people with a  
larger number of smaller routers (and less money). Also, policy  
development is done regionally while the results are suffered  
globally. But even discounting all of that, if ARIN were to decide  
that the prefixes must be revoked, it will take a significant amount  
of time before that actually happens. It gets worse when people start  
to sue.

So in practice the only thing that can happen is that if the problem  
is severe (i.e., that 51% of all people in the (rich) ARIN region  
feel the pain) the policy is changed so that no _new_ prefixes of  
this type are given out, and then we have to wait for the increase in  
router performance over time to make the problem disappear.

If it gets really bad a quick "ipv6 prefix-list no-v6-pi deny ::/0 ge  
48" will clean up the routing table and a timeout or two later you're  
back on IPv4 when trying to reach the holders of these PI blocks.