Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-v6ops-scanning-implications-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 15:50:03 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IPv6 Implications for Network Scanning
	Author(s)	: T. Chown
	Filename	: draft-ietf-v6ops-scanning-implications-02.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2007-3-8
	
The 128 bits of IPv6 address space is considerably bigger than the 32
   bits of address space of IPv4.  In particular, the IPv6 subnets to
   which hosts attach will by default have 64 bits of host address
   space.  As a result, traditional methods of remote TCP or UDP network
   scanning to discover open or running services on a host will
   potentially become less feasible, due to the larger search space in
   the subnet.  In addition automated attacks, such as those performed
   by network worms, may be hampered.  This document discusses this

   property of IPv6, and describes related issues for site
   administrators of IPv6 networks to consider, which may be of
   importance when planning site address allocation and management
   strategies.  While traditional network scanning probes (whether by
   individuals or automated via network worms) may become less common,
   administrators should be aware of other methods attackers may use to
   discover IPv6 addresses on a target network, and be aware of
   appropriate measures to mitigate them.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-scanning-implications-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-v6ops-scanning-implications-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-scanning-implications-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.