Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-v6ops-scanning-implications-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IPv6 Implications for Network Scanning
	Author(s)	: T. Chown
	Filename	: draft-ietf-v6ops-scanning-implications-03.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2007-3-28
	
The 128 bits of IPv6 address space is considerably bigger than the 32
   bits of address space of IPv4.  In particular, the IPv6 subnets to
   which hosts attach will by default have 64 bits of host address
   space.  As a result, traditional methods of remote TCP or UDP network
   scanning to discover open or running services on a host will
   potentially become less feasible, due to the larger search space in
   the subnet.  In addition automated attacks, such as those performed
   by network worms, that pick random host addresses to propagate to,
   may be hampered.  This document discusses this property of IPv6 and
   describes related issues for IPv6 site network administrators to
   consider, which may be of importance when planning site address
   allocation and management strategies.  While traditional network
   scanning probes (whether by individuals or automated via network
   worms) may become less common, administrators should be aware of
   other methods attackers may use to discover IPv6 addresses on a
   target network, and also be aware of appropriate measures to mitigate
   them.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-scanning-implications-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-v6ops-scanning-implications-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-scanning-implications-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:12:06 +0100

Hi,

This draft is an update which applies comments by Tony Hain and Dave
Thaler, and a couple of clarifications, as raised during IETF week.

It's now ready to be reviewed by the 3 volunteers (thank you :) and 
anyone else interested of course.

Tim

> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce

-- 
Tim

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:27:12 -0400

Dear colleagues,

> > 	Filename	: draft-ietf-v6ops-scanning-implications-03.txt

I have read this draft, and I think it is ready to be advanced.  It
has been modified to address an objection I previously raised[1].  I
support its advancement.

Best regards,
Andrew

[1] http://ops.ietf.org/lists/v6ops/v6ops.2007/msg00004.html

-- 
Andrew Sullivan                         204-4141 Yonge Street
Afilias Canada                        Toronto, Ontario Canada
<[email-masked]>                              M2P 2A8
jabber: [email-masked]                 +1 416 646 3304 x4110