Subject: Re: DHCP failures (was RE: Do you want to have more meetings outside US ?)

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 07:54:56 -0500

Le 07-07-31 à 17:40, Tony Hain a écrit :

> That said, several of us did notice that the local DNS servers did  
> not have
> any AAAA records, so likely they did not have any IPv6 configured  
> either.
> Even if they did, we would need to finalize the work to put the DNS  
> address
> in the RA to completely avoid the need for DHCP for those that rely  
> on local
> configuration.

18 juin 2007 09:31:42 HAC (ÉUA)
À : 	  [email-masked]

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IPv6 Router Advertisement Option for DNS Configuration '
    <draft-jeong-dnsop-ipv6-dns-discovery-12.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

Marc.

> Tony

-----
IPv6 book: Migrating to IPv6, Wiley, 2006, http://www.ipv6book.ca

---

From: "Tony Hain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 11:10:42 -0700

An experimental status is not 'finished' work. From a v6ops perspective,
there was a clear hole demonstrated at the last meeting, so the wg should
step up and work on changing the status to PS. I don't see any obvious
problems with the current text, but a wg review followed by a request to
change the status would end up with more implementations and deployment
experience. 

Tony

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Marc Blanchet [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 5:55 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: IETF V6OPS WG
> Subject: Re: DHCP failures (was RE: Do you want to have more meetings
> outside US ?)
>

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 16:04:25 -0400

Did the IETF network use the existing standards-based approach of  
stateless address autoconf for address assignment, and DHCPv6 (using  
the simple two-message exchange) for other configuration information?

There are routers available today that can provide the appropriate  
DHCPv6 service without a centralized DHCPv6 service, and Vista will  
use that DHCPv6 service to obtain, for example, addresses for DNS  
servers.

- Ralph

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 16:31:09 -0400

Le 07-08-02 à 14:10, Tony Hain a écrit :

> step up and work on changing the status to PS.

well, I was one of those who believe the RA solution was just fine  
and should be PS...

Marc.

> I don't see any obvious

-----