Subject: Re: The IPv4 Internet MTU (was Re: Teredo MTU logic)

From: Rémi Denis-Courmont <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 20:14:46 +0300

Le Thursday 27 September 2007 22:15:15, vous avez écrit :
> 3) get rough consensus that there are no paths on the IPv4 Internet with a
> MTU larger or equal to 1308 bytes (the current "outer" Teredo MTU), but
> smaller than 1348 bytes (or any slightly bigger value)? Then, it is safe to
> update everything to a bigger inner MTU of 1320 bytes (or more); it will
> not cause any extra on-path fragmentation. In fact, it will even diminish
> the overhead.
>
> So my naive question of the day is:
> Does anyone have any practical case for an IPv4 path MTU within [1308;1348[
> ?

So, am I going to be banned of v6ops with lots of blames if I set the 
non-Microsoft Teredo server to advertise a 1320 bytes MTU any time? Or 1400 
bytes?

-- 
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/