Subject: v6ops-nat64-pb-statement-req: MIPv6 RO requirement

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:28:40 -0400

draft-ietf-v6ops-nat64-pb-statement-req-00.txt says:

>    I5: MIPv6 support
> 
>    The translation mechanism SHOULD not prevent MIPv6 Route Optimization
>    when the CN is a v4-only node

What exactly is meant by this? Is the intention that a MIPv6 MN should
be able to use RO with an IPv4-only CN?

To invoke MIPv6 RO, the CN must actively participate in the
signalling. Presumably, an IPv4-only node doesn't implement MIPv6 at
all.

What exactly is this requirement intended to achieve?

Thomas

---

From: marcelo bagnulo braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:08:53 +0200

> What exactly is this requirement intended to achieve?
FWIW; this req is gone in the 01 version cause people ask to remove it

(so stop reading here if that is enough)
For background, what this req really meant is that nat should behave as 
a CN in the RO operation, so while it was not possible to optimize all 
the way till the v4 CN, it would be able to preform ro with the nat box. 
In any case, it is gone now (unless you want to revisit this)

Regards, marcelo

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:20:01 -0400

> (so stop reading here if that is enough)

It is!

> In any case, it is gone now (unless you want to revisit this)

I do not want to revisit this. Given the amount of deployment
experience we have with MIPv6 RO, it would be seriously premature to
have this sort of requirement (IMO).

Thomas