Subject: FW: new draft on IPv6 CPE router available for review

From: "Wes Beebee (wbeebee)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 13:50:44 -0400

For some reason, Hemant is unable to post to v6ops even though he is
subscribed to it.  Therefore, I'm forwarding this e-mail.

- Wes 

-----Original Message-----
From: Hemant Singh (shemant)
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 12:20 PM
To: 'Shin Miyakawa'; Wes Beebee (wbeebee); [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; Hemant Singh (shemant)
Subject: RE: new draft on IPv6 CPE router available for review

Shin,

I don't see any reason to incorporate anything from your draft because
our document already mentions what your draft proposes. Please read our
draft completely before sending such comments. It is very clear from our
draft that the WAN interface acquires a global IPv6 address and the CPE
router gets IA_PD, the prefix from which is sub-delegated to hosts
connected to LAN interface(s) of the CPE router. Anyhow, Cable Labs has
already proposed the same global address on WAN port over one year back
in cable broadband networks.

For others who have asked for only a link-local address on the WAN port
and asked for a Loopback interface on the CPE router, we have already
replied that we agree with such a recommendation and we will recommend
that the CPE router support both models - one model where WAN port also
acquires a global IPv6 address and another model where WAN interface
only acquires a link-local address. In the model where the WAN interface
has only a link-local address, the CPE router will use an optional
Loopback interface which will be assigned a global IPv6 address
sub-delegated from IA_PD via stateless DHCPv6.

Thanks.

Hemant

-----Original Message-----
From: Shin Miyakawa [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2008 9:21 PM
To: Wes Beebee (wbeebee); [email-masked]; Hemant Singh (shemant);
[email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: new draft on IPv6 CPE router available for review

Hello,

I have a comment on the transfered message by Wes,

> From: Mikael Abrahamsson [mailto:[email-masked]]
>
>
> In section 5.3 I would definitely like a CPE to work without having a 
> WAN address (link local only).

Actually, this does not work if a CPE use the strong host model
implementation describing in RFC1122 or STD3 : Requirements for Internet
Hosts - Communication Layers.

> The rationale behind this is that we would like ISP routers have IPs 
> in a core IP-range (which will be protected from DDOS by ratelimiters 
> or filters) and have customers in their own IP space.
> The handoff between distribution and CPE should be done via something 
> that is not reachable from the internet, ie the CPE should never 
> source packets from its WAN IP, instead it should source packets 
> destined to the internet from a loopback IP which it should allocate 
> to itself from DHCPv6-PD (it could also be a LAN interface IP).
> So behavior would be "get link-local working, do DHCPv6-PD, allocate 
> IP to itself from PD range, then use THAT to provision itself further 
> and to communicate with everything".

Originally, when we wrote RFC4241 (A Model of IPv6/IPv4 Dual Stack
Internet Access Service) to start our IPv6/v4 dual stack native ADSL
service, we also thought about same thing. So we can understand Mikael's
will too.

But now Microsoft Vista and Windows 2008 IPv6 implementation are based
on the strong host model as default, (please see
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb878108.aspx
and
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc137807.aspx ).

Especially, if we think that the uplink is a "softwire" or the CPE is a
brige, Vista is one of the most likely to be used operating systems to
terminate the IPv6 uplink by itself, so from practical point of view, we
strongly recommend to assign a global IPv6 address.

We've just submitted a very short draft regarding this issue

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-miyakawa-1plus64s-00.txt

and hope this could be merged to the section 5.3 of Wes's draft with its
reasons.

Best regards,

Shin Miyakawa, Ph.D
Director, Core Network Technology Team, Network Systems and
Technologies, Innovative IP Architecture Center / Corporate Planning
Department (concurrent position) NTT Communications Corporation Tokyo
Opera City Tower 21st Floor
3-20-2 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-Ku, Tokyo, Japan 163-1421
E-mail:[email-masked] / [email-masked] / [email-masked]
TEL:+81-3-6800-3262 / FAX:+81-3-5365-2990 Visiting Researcher, SFC Lab.
KEIO University WIDE Project

---

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 13:24:21 -0700

>From: Wes Beebee (wbeebee) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 10:51 AM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: FW: new draft on IPv6 CPE router available for review
>

I agree with this latter as a necessary mode of operation.

Fred
[email-masked]