Subject: RE: Liaison from BBF

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 18:03:29 -0600

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
David Allan I
>Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:00 AM
>To: Manfredi, Albert E; Mikael Abrahamsson
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: RE: Liaison from BBF

>HI

>There are a couple of scenarios to consider..

>1) Simple bridging from the home, hence a number of NIC address will
appear at the edge router...

We have so shot down this model in v6ops during the March 2009 IETF -
please see v6ops archives around this date.  If a home router bridges
all traffic from the home then let's say, Apple TV video in the home
will actually to the SP!  Or as Wes said during that time, "I am doing
my private tax returns and the data went to the SP"!

>2) Retail model for RGs, which is how I bought mine... My modem came
from my DSL provider, but as it had no wireless, so I turned off all
higher layer functions and front ended it with a Belkin box >bought over
the counter... 

Yes, this is a very common scenario that we are addressing in the IETF
v6ops IPv6 CE home router. 

Hemant

---

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 18:19:59 -0600

Dave,

If a document can be pointed to that uses the tagged domains, that would
be useful.  I, Wes, and, Ole Troan during the March IETF were talking of
regular bridged networks. Once we see what's going on for data
forwarding in the tagged domain you speak of, we can see what to do
about it.

Thanks,

Hemant

-----Original Message-----
From: David Allan I [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:14 AM
To: Hemant Singh (shemant); Manfredi, Albert E; Mikael Abrahamsson
Cc: [email-masked]; IPv6 Operations
Subject: RE: Liaison from BBF

Hi Hemant:

w.r.t. bridged mode, You folks may have shot it down but is is deployed.
And frequently implemented as multiple tagged domains in the home such
that not all tags get the same treatment going outside the home....hence
there is some containment of the issues you identify....

Simply FYI
D

-----Original Message-----
From: Hemant Singh (shemant) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:03 AM
To: David Allan I; Manfredi, Albert E; Mikael Abrahamsson
Cc: [email-masked]; IPv6 Operations
Subject: RE: Liaison from BBF

David Allan I

Hemant