Subject: RE: RS sending in draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-cpe-router-04

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 09:34:48 -0500

----Original Message-----
From: Mark Smith
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 12:24 PM
To: Hemant Singh (shemant)
Cc: Wojciech Dec (wdec); Philip Homburg; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: RS sending in draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-cpe-router-04

>I never think DOCSIS should ever be used as an example of how to do
>something properly. They made the fundamental mistake of making a layer
>2 technology layer 3 aware. If only they'd kept to the layer they are
>supposed to be operating at (i.e. layer 2), then they wouldn't have to
>be rolling out DOCSIS v3 to support IPv6, at a very great expense to
>themselves and, ultimately, their customers.

My example was proving that Docsis 3.0 is compliant with the ND RFC 4861
with three RS's to be sent out by an IPv6  cable modem.  See the
MAX_RTR_SOLICITATIONS defined in RFC 4861.  I really do not understand
what you are referring to where you say docsis make a fundamental
mistake of making a layer 2 tech layer 3 aware.  

Hemant