Subject: [v6ops] WG Review: IPv6 Operations (v6ops)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 12:21:22 -0700

The IPv6 Operations (v6ops) working group in the Operations and
Management Area of the IETF is undergoing rechartering. The IESG has not
made any determination yet. The following draft charter was submitted,
and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send your
comments to the IESG mailing list (iesg at ietf.org) by 2015-08-31.

IPv6 Operations (v6ops)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Lee Howard <[email-masked]>
  Fred Baker <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/v6ops/

Charter:

Charter for Working Group

The global deployment of IPv6 is underway, creating an Internet
consisting of IPv4-only, IPv6-only and IPv4/IPv6 networks and nodes.
This deployment must be properly handled to avoid the division of
the Internet into separate IPv4 and IPv6 networks, ensuring addressing
and connectivity for all IPv4 and IPv6 nodes.

The IPv6 Operations Working Group (v6ops) develops guidelines for
the operation of IPv6 networks, and provides operational guidance
on how to deploy and operate IPv6 in new and existing networks.

The main focus of the IPv6 Operations Working Group is to look at
the deployment and operational issues in IPv6 networks.

The goals of the v6ops working group are:

1.  Solicit input from network operators and users to identify
operational issues with the IPv6 Internet, and determine solutions
or workarounds to those issues.

2.  Solicit input from network operators and users to identify
operational interaction issues with the IPv4 Internet, and determine
solutions or workarounds to those issues.

3.  Operational solutions for identified issues should be developed
in v6ops and documented in informational or BCP drafts.

These documents should document IPv6 operational experience, including
interactions with IPv4, in dual stack networks, IPv6 networks with
IPv4 delivered as an overlay or translation service, or IPv6-only
networks.

IPv6 operational and deployment issues with specific protocols or
technologies (such as Applications, Transport Protocols, Routing
Protocols, DNS or Sub-IP Protocols) are the primary responsibility
of the groups or areas responsible for those protocols or technologies.
However, the v6ops Working Group may provide input to those
areas/groups, as needed, and cooperate with those areas/groups in
reviewing solutions to IPv6 operational and deployment problems.

Future work items within this scope will be adopted by the Working
Group only if there is a substantial expression of interest from
the community and if the work clearly does not fit elsewhere in the
IETF.

There must be a continuous expression of interest for the Working
Group to work on a particular work item.  If there is no longer
sufficient interest in the Working Group in a work item, the item
may be removed from the list of Working Group items.

Milestones:

TBD