Subject: Re: [v6ops] SAILing LAPs

From: Philip Homburg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 19:44:48 +0200

>There was a discussion about recommendations of the IETF about IPv6 
>address assignments and it ended with a RFC 6177.  I suggest reading 
>the summary of that discussion (in Section 5).

Unfortunately, RFC 6177 contains exactly the worrying arguements that
should encourage drawing a line in the sand and keeping the 64 bit
boundary.

The IETF had clear technical ideas why customers should get a /48.

It is possible that the IETF mis-understood operational concerns. However,
RFC 6177 does not discuss clear operational problems with /48. Instead
we get the following text:

"While the /48 recommendation does simplify address space management
"for end sites, it has also been widely criticized as being wasteful.
"For example, a large business (which may have thousands of employees)
"would, by default, receive the same amount of address space as a home
"user, who today typically has a single (or small number of) LAN and a
"small number of devices (dozens or less).

It is clear that operators consider bits to precious without any operational
reason behind that. What are the benefits of providing customers with
longer prefixes? We don't know.

So reality is that operators cannot know what a customer really needs. They
have some model of what a customer should need according to them, and the
possibility to upsell.

So instead of having clear guide lines that customers need to get a /48,
we now have a discussion on subdividing /64s.

---

From: Philip Homburg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 19:48:04 +0200

Oops, this was meant to go to 6man.

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 20:27:02 +0200

I've a -bis version for RFC6177, which I drafted a couple of months ago, but I need to coordinate with my co-author (one of the original RFC6177 authors), hopefully during next week.

I was trying, precisely to fix there all the related discussions on the /64 and the /48 boundaries ...

Regards,

Jordi

-----Mensaje original-----

De: v6ops <[email-masked]> en nombre de Philip Homburg <[email-masked]>

Fecha: sábado, 23 de junio de 2018, 19:46

Para: <[email-masked]>

CC: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>

Asunto: Re: [v6ops] SAILing LAPs

    boundary.

    possibility to upsell.

    

    _______________________________________________

    v6ops mailing list

    [email-masked]

    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops

**********************************************
IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?
http://www.consulintel.es
The IPv6 Company

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the exclusive use of the individual(s) named above and further non-explicilty authorized disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, even if partially, including attached files, is strictly prohibited and will be considered a criminal offense. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, even if partially, including attached files, is strictly prohibited, will be considered a criminal offense, so you must reply to the original sender to inform about this communication and delete it.