Subject: [v6ops] on google v6 stats

From: "Bajpai, Vaibhav" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 17:26:56 +0000

Hello,

re: https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

a] How does Google count 'users' on the Google v6 adoption page? What
happens when a user has (multiple) v6 privacy addresses that change
with time, does each privacy address count as a single user?

b] The rate of adoption of Teredo/6to4 started increasing in Apr/2017
with an exponential jump in Apr/2018, with a recent sudden drop back
to zero. Does anybody have insights on what is causing this observation
or is this a measurement error?

https://goo.gl/CwnKSm

Thanks!

-- Vaibhav

------------------------------
Vaibhav Bajpai
www.vaibhavbajpai.com

Postdoctoral Fellow
Technische Universität München
------------------------------

---

From: Lee Howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 15:24:16 -0600

> with time, does each privacy address count as a single user?

I am not authoritative, but here's what they say:
*Google*: We measure IPv6 adoption among Google users by adding 
measurement JavaScript to a random sample of visits to various Google 
properties. The methodology is similar to that described in our 
paper,Evaluating IPv6 adoption in the Internet 
<http://research.google.com/pubs/pub36240.html>. The JavaScript uses 
HTTP to fetch a URL from an IPv4-only hostname and a URL from a 
dual-stack hostname, in random order, and then reports the results. The 
measurement is attributed to the ASN that originates the user's IPv4 
address. Measurement endpoints use the same infrastructure that serve 
regular Google traffic.
http://www.worldipv6launch.org/measurements/

> or is this a measurement error?

Google shows .03% in April 2017, a brief spike in May 2018 to .011%%, 
and now down to 0.00%.
https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=ipv6-adoption&tab=ipv6-adoption

Facebook looks similar, except for that one spike. I would treat that as 
an anomaly, the kind of noise one expects to see in live data. And I'd 
say 0.00% is pretty good.

Lee

> _______________________________________________
> v6ops mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops

---

From: "Bajpai, Vaibhav" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 09:45:23 +0000

Hello,

>> re:
>> https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html
>> 
>> 
> Google: We measure IPv6 adoption among Google users by adding measurement JavaScript to a random sample of visits to various Google properties. The methodology is similar to that described in our paper, Evaluating IPv6 adoption in the Internet. The JavaScript uses HTTP to fetch a URL from an IPv4-only hostname and a URL from a dual-stack hostname, in random order, and then reports the results. The measurement is attributed to the ASN that originates the user's IPv4 address. Measurement endpoints use the same infrastructure that serve regular Google traffic.
> http://www.worldipv6launch.org/measurements

I am not sure if the methodology used in the 2010 paper is
still valid. For one, both hostnames do not have either A
or AAAA records anymore (dualstack.ipv6-exp.l.google.com,
ipv4.ipv6-exp.l.google.com).

> Google shows .03% in April 2017, a brief spike in May 2018 to .011%%, and now down to 0.00%.
> an anomaly, the kind of noise one expects to see in live data. And I'd say 0.00% is pretty good.

Oh, how do I see the facebook teredo/6to4 plot? This [a] seems
to show overall v6 adoption.

a] https://www.facebook.com/ipv6

-- Vaibhav

Postdoctoral Fellow

---

From: Erik Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 20:14:57 +0900

> or is this a measurement error?

yeah, basically measurement error

---

From: "Bajpai, Vaibhav" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 11:19:21 +0000

Hello,

> On 26. Jun 2018, at 13:14, Erik Kline <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Thank you.

-- Vaibhav

Postdoctoral Fellow