Subject: [v6ops] RFC 8475 on Using Conditional Router Advertisements for Enterprise Multihoming

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 17:49:10 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8475

        Title:      Using Conditional Router Advertisements for 
                    Enterprise Multihoming 
        Author:     J. Linkova, 
                    M. Stucchi
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      21
        Characters: 45127
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-v6ops-conditional-ras-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8475

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8475

This document discusses the most common scenarios of connecting an
enterprise network to multiple ISPs using an address space assigned
by an ISP and how the approach proposed in "Enterprise Multihoming                         
using Provider-Assigned Addresses without Network Prefix Translation:                      
Requirements and Solution" could be applied in those scenarios.  The
problem of enterprise multihoming without address translation of any
form has not been solved yet as it requires both the network to
select the correct egress ISP based on the packet source address and
hosts to select the correct source address based on the desired
egress ISP for that traffic.  The aforementioned document proposes a
solution to this problem by introducing a new routing functionality
(Source Address Dependent Routing) to solve the uplink selection
issue.  It also proposes using Router Advertisements to influence the
host source address selection.  It focuses on solving the general
problem and covering various complex use cases, and this document
adopts its proposed approach to provide a solution for a limited
number of common use cases.  In particular, the focus of this
document is on scenarios in which an enterprise network has two
Internet uplinks used either in primary/backup mode or simultaneously
and hosts in that network might not yet properly support multihoming
as described in RFC 8028.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC