Subject: [v6ops] IPv6 Fundamentals Class (for Newbies)

From: nalini elkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 05:54:03 -0700

New v6Opers,

You may be interested in a free class on IPv6 fundamentals funded by a
grant from ARIN.  This class is aimed at enterprises but may be useful to
folks new to v6ops as well.

Date: April 16, 2020
Time: Pacific Time 8:00am (UTC 3pm)

You may register at:
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/274663908000750350

IPv6 training for enterprises is especially pertinent given the Call for
Comment on IPv6 for the Federal Government from the U.S. government Office
of Management and Budget.   Many U.S. based enterprises have
network connections to U.S. federal government (Medicare, Federal Reserve,
etc.)

>From the memo:

"Develop an IPv6 implementation plan by the end of FY 2021, and update the
Information Resources Management (IRM) Strategic Plan as appropriate, to
improve all networked Federal information systems (and the IP-enabled
assets associated with these systems) to fully enable native IPv6
operation.  The plan shall describe your transition process and include the
following milestones and actions:

a. At least 20% of IP-enabled assets on Federal networks are IPv6-only by
the end of FY 2023;

b. At least 50% of IP-enabled assets on Federal networks are IPv6-only by
the end of FY 2024;

c. At least 80% of IP-enabled assets on Federal networks are IPv6-only by
the end of FY 2025; and

d. Identify and justify Federal information systems that cannot be
converted to use IPv6 and provide a schedule for replacing or retiring
these systems;

The class description is below.

 IPv6 Fundamentals

Description: To be successful in implementing and understanding IPv6
networks, you need to first understand the IPv6 address methodology which
is, in many ways, a fundamental change from the IPv4 paradigm. In this
introduction, you will become familiar with what is different as well as
what is the same with IPv6.

• Public and private addresses
• IPv6 Prefixes
• IPv6 Address Structure
• IPv6 Interface ID
• IPv6 Addressing and Address Allocation Methods (stateless, statefull)
• Address types, unicast, multicast, anycast
• Address categories: global, site local, link local
• Unique Local Unicast addresses
• Zero compression
• Special addresses (loopback, unspecified, IPv4 mapped IPv6)
• Broadcast address elimination

Neighbor Discovery (SLAAC)

Description: The Neighbor Discovery Protocol (NDP) is one of key building
blocks of IPv6, though it creates an alphabet soup of acronyms (NDP, RA,
RS, NS, NA, DAD, MLD, SLAAC, RDNSS). We will describe how NDP works and its
basic functions, including addressing and routing. Network engineers and
systems engineers who are familiar with IPv6 addresses are welcome.

• Neighbor Discovery Protocol (NDP)
• Router Advertisements (RA)
• Router Solicitation (RS)
• Neighbor Solicitation (NS)
• Neighbor Advertisement (NA)
• Duplicate Address Detection (DAD)
• Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD)
• Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC)
• Router Advertisements for DNS (RDNSS)

For our other free webinars, please see:
https://industrynetcouncil.org/webinars

In particular, you may be interested in a free webinar by Bob Hinden on the
History of IPv6.

Nalini Elkins

---

From: nalini elkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 06:54:21 -0700

Guys,

Sorry.  Someone told me that the link was not working.   Please try this.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/274663908000750350

Any problems, please let me know.

Thanks,

Nalini

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 5:54 AM nalini elkins <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> In particular, you may be interested in a free webinar by Bob Hinden on
> the History of IPv6.
>
> Nalini Elkins
>

-- 
Thanks,
Nalini Elkins
President
Enterprise Data Center Operators
www.e-dco.com